Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Salads, Wraps and Sprouts

Grilled Veggie Wrap
This was made from the leftover grilled onions, peppers, mushrooms and garlic from the other day. I used a low carb, whole grain lavash bread (only 100 calories for the entire lavash!) and spread it with my cashew pimento cheese, toasted it in the toaster oven and then sprinkled it with alfalfa sprouts, raw tomatoes and some diced red onion. This was my breakfast.. not much to look at, but very delicious.
Mustard Marinated Lentils, Baby Greens and Crostini with Cashew Pimento 'Cheese'
I marinated cooked lentils in dijon mustard, Braggs apple cider vinegar, olive oil, oregano, stevia and of course, garlic. I used that as my salad dressing as well. The rest of the lentil salad is just cucumbers, red onions, radish and fresh tyme, baby greens avocado and a sprinkle of walnuts. The cashew cheese was made very soft, out of cashews, onion powder, garlic powder, miso, lemon juice, green olives, roasted red peppers, paprika, cayenne and salt/pepper blended with water and agar powder. The crostini is just my homemade whole wheat french bread, grilled and rubbed with garlic. This was lunch
Alfalfa Sprout, drying
My lovely sprouts, drying on a platter. I use a 64 oz glass Mason Jar and specially made lids (you can find the lids on the links later in the post) to sprout most of my seeds. When they are done, I rinse them well and lay them on a platter for a day or two to dry and green up. I make sure to turn them over several times a day and line the platter either with paper towels or a clean dishcloth. This batch probably made around 10 cups of sprouts and cost me a whopping 50 cents! I buy organic seeds online at The Sproutpeople or Mumm's.. one of them is in Canada and one is in the States, but both companies delivered great products and have a wealth of infomation on their sites.
I love sprouting... I usually have at least 4-5 different types of sprouts going and they are a delicious, very cost effective way to eat your veggies. Plus, if you have kids, it is a fun science project for them and will make them excited about eating healthy food! Yay Sprouts!!

12 comments:

  1. That wrap looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *having severe wrap cravings!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cashew cheese looks intriguing. My last experience with cashews (made them into a yogurt), didn't turn out well. But I'm trying not too loose hope. Seeing posts like this helps.

    How do you eat all your sprouts? I love sprouts, but I only ever have them in sandwiches and on salads. Are there more ways to eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say I am really not fond of lentils, but that onion, etc. wrap looks really good.

    This coming from someone who had a cheeseburger tonight for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wrap looks delicious, Id like a bite right NOW!!!!

    BFN, Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love sprouts too. i need to learn how to do that.

    i'm making your kimchee right now...what the hell do i do with kimchee besides just eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm..everything looks delish. Is the pimento cheese your recipe or from a cookbook?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You think your wrap isn't much to look at but I say it is. It looks delicious. I'm intrigued by sprouting. I've never done it, but would like to give it a go. I'm going to pursue the links you posted. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you had any luck sprouting mung beans? I try and try and they never quite work out....

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, your food looks great!

    i've never tried sprouting before, but it's one of those things i'd like to try some time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your message. :) Our problem with mung beans has mostly been that they don't get long at ALL, and then they rot pretty quickly. We do use organic mung beans, but maybe the problem is that we haven't wrapped them in a towel like you've suggested. I'll give it a try again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful beautiful beautiful. Not sprouting a mouthful here, but this looks lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete