Saturday, January 12, 2008

Lovely vegetables... and more simple food

For some reason, this week I haven't been into taking pics. I think I'm just not inspired because I don't have my dishes here. This is a furnished apartment, including dishes, and I'm already storing pots and pans that were here and quite a few very ugly dishes and I don't have room for my beloved dish collection... but I digress. This was a delicious meal. It made enough for two large portions. I made a scallion pancake out of besan (chickpea) flour. I added around 1/4 c of sesame seeds to the cup of besan flour and that was the only fat in the meal. I sauted cabbage, onions, garlic, ginger, chiles, red bell pepper, mushrooms with soy sauce, 5 spice powder and finished it with cilantro and lime juice. It was extremely filling and so healthy. I had it for dinner two nights ina row. The batter made 2 12 inch pancakes which kept well in the fridge for the next night. I think I may play around with this recipe a bit to see if I can replace tortillas with besan "crepes". It would up the nutritional profile of the food big time and calorie wise, it is the same as white flour.
This is when a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray comes in handy!

Blurry, but oh so healthy! This is where a very hot, seasoned cast iron comes in handy. With just a spray of cooking spray, you can really get the best out of your veggies. See that spatula? I refer to it as "my lucky spatula". It was my moms and I used to cook with it when I was a little girl. I have kept it and moved it accross country. I love it and use it all the time.
I am in love with organic baby spinach and even living on my own, I go through at least 3 9 oz packages a week. I have been eating a huge salad for breakfast almost everyday. This was simple, just topped with walnuts, roasted red pepper, spices and my low fat flax dressing.
This eggplant was delicious, sauted in the cast iron with a bit of olive oil spray, onions, garlic, dried spices and fresh thyme. The leftovers sit in my freezer, waiting to be used in marinara and lasagna later in the week.
Here's some simple DAHL.. click for the recipe. Dahl certainly isn't a pretty meal, but my kids LOVE it. They request it and I like to make it weekly for them. It is so healthy and delicious. I served this with brown rice.
I have quite a few new recipes in my head that I'm going to test this week. I'm getting much more comfortable cooking for myself and figuring it all out.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, that scallion pancake with vegetables looks so delicious!!!! I like the in-cooking-action shots, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks wonderful Melody. I love chickpea pancakes, and yours looks so good! Gotta love chickpea flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chickpea crepes are the best! Yours look delicious. And I could really go for that dahl right now! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything looks so healthy and full of good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about your dishes...your FOOD is what gets my attention! And it always looks amazing! This week is no exception. Those chickpea crepes look SO good, and your dahl is delicious--I have made it 3 times!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only is your scallion pancake meal beautiful and healthy, but it looks EXTREMELY delicious! What a great idea - you set a great example that a meal can be filling, low fat, and low in calories. :)

    I like how you make salads for breakfast! I love veggies for breakfast but don't do it often enough...unless Mr. Tofu Scramble decides to make an appearance on my plate, haha.

    You've got some awesome food and meal ideas here; it's so exciting to see and read about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that scallion pancake idea, I will have to try it.

    That is a lot of spinach to go through in a week, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like I need to get a cast iron skillet! The chickpea flour pancakes sound delicious. And how yummy to eat salads for breakfast! Have you posted you low fat flax dressing? I'd love to use that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mel! I think your posts are delicious looking. I love the idea of the chick-pea tortilla. I have not made dahl in so long. I think it is time to put it back on the menu! Can't wait to see what other creations you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even blurry, your food looks delicious!
    I love dahl too, but yours is prettier than the one I make, since I've never thought to add green beans or anything else to add color to the dish. I'll definitely try that the next time I make my beloved dahl.

    Oh, and my spiced beets were good, but not great (which is why I didn't post a recipe). I want to experiment a little more with the seasonings to get it just right :o).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw! I *love* that you use your momma's spatula :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to make my own scallion pancakes! The Chinese buffet I frequent has thick greasy ones that I like on occasion, but yours look much healthier.

    I like your "lucky" spatula :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think everything looks just great! I've never had chickpea crepes but it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pictures are still just beautiful! Don't worry about the dishes, I didn't even notice them!

    ReplyDelete