Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Rawkin Rawco 100 calorie snack!

I think this is my most favorite 100 calorie snack so far. Wow! I am soo going to turn this into a meal. These are raw mexican wraps, or RAWcos... as I've seen this sort of dish referred to in the raw community. I am feeling a calling towards raw foods. I think this summer (or as soon as I clean out my pantry) I will do a 30-60 day RAW challenge. It just feels like the right thing to do.
Now, to the snack. Here's the recipe:

1 c cauliflower
1 t nutritional yeast
1 clove garlic
1 t chili powder (or less if you wish)
1 small jalapeno
juice of 1 lime
1 T walnuts
handful cilantro
salt/pepper to taste
1/4 head boston bibb lettuce (5 large leaves)
4 large cherry tomatoes

Method:
Process the cauliflower, yeast, garlic, chili powder, jalapeno, lime juice, walnuts and most of the cilantro (in a food processor) until it is combined, but not quite a paste. Add the salt/pepper to taste and serve on a mound of lettuce leaves, topped with the tomatoes and the rest of the cilantro. Wrap up and enjoy! You could also serve this in endive and I'll bet it would be delicious and even easier to eat.

100 calories
6 g fat
10 g carbs
5 g protein
5 g fiber

How's that for a fabulous 100 calorie snack?
This was a simple dry fried tofu sammie. I toasted my homemade bread from last post and topped it with the jalapeno hummus, baby arugula and tomatoes. The tofu was sprinkled with smoked sea salt and pepper. It was a fairly bland sandwich, but hit the spot last night for dinner.

I also had a bowl of my favorite broccoli soup, but didn't take a pic. Basically, I just sauted an onion and garlic and added broccoli covered with stock. Brought it to a boil, then stirred in some hummus and blended it with my immersion blender. I finished it off with a tiny bit of umeboshi vinegar, truffle oil, paprika and black pepper.
We got yet another snowstorm yesterday.. the big fluffy flakes. This was at dusk.. the sky was an amazing color and the flakes were so big. I don't think the pic does it justice, but It was beautiful.
Yes, another 100 calorie snack. This was baby arugula, cherry tomatoes, nutritional yeast and a homemade very low fat balsamic vinaigrette. I used some leftover chickpea cooking liquid, dijon, garlic, thyme, balsamic vinegar, salt/pepper, stevia and 1 T evoo for 12 oz of dressing. It is very satifsying and I think this salad had less than 100 calories (per 3 c arugula) which is pretty amazing.

I want to thank everyone for their awesome support in my last post. Now that I've had a couple days to decompress and let the reality of the situation sink in I think that it may have been a blessing in disguise. It has pushed me way out of my comfort zone and into what I'm really doing in this weight loss venture. It is about SOOO much more than a number. It is about becoming healthy and really listening to my body.. and treating myself well. I can honestly say that at this moment I don't care that the number is more than I thought it was. I KNOW that I am doing a great service to myself by eating such healthy foods.. and I have been enjoying getting back in touch with myself... I am thinking I may stop weighing myself once a week and goto once a month. With my new scale being the number I go by. As I begin to exercise more, I know my body will hold onto water a bit and I don't want to get discouraged by a number. I KNOW if I'm doing the "right thing"... I KNOW if I am treating myself right and that is what this is all about, not a quick fix on the scale.
I'm thinking March 1st I will weigh in and again April 1st. I will still continue to track my calories in fitday because it keeps my portions in check. When I do the raw challenge, I will not be logging my calories in the first 3 weeks.

14 comments:

  1. Eating raw is amazing - the food just makes you feel great, refreshed, nourished, and energized!! That raw Mexican snack is DEFINITELY the perfect 100-calorie snack!

    So glad that you're continuing on a path to better health - your blogger friends are here for you, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for that yummy looking recipe Melody. I can't wait to whip some up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you inspired me to start making 100 calorie snacks. THANKS!
    yr raw challenge sounds . . . challenging. i'll be curious to see how that goes! summer sounds like a good time to do it too. so much yummy produce and very raw friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That raw taco sounds amazing! I cannot wait to try it--your recipes are always so good!

    Your attitude sounds so good, Melody. I think that no matter what, you will be successful at meeting your goals with such a healthy, well-balanced approach!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck on the raw thing. i tried it and lasted...oooh i think about 12 hours. no...it was 4.

    now if i had a raw CHEF i'd totally do it! course you're a natural so you shouldn't have an issue...you love to work with food. i only slightly like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pretty snowflakes too...i miss the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel ~

    I love your scale/numbers comment. I had a huge weight-related-realization (actually it was a lot more than that) a few months ago and determined not to diet or look at the scale for anything other than a random number. Every once in awhile I'll jump on the scale for no reason what so ever and I'm still completely shocked at how a silly little number can make me feel. Less than 159? Rockin! I can be in the crabbiest mood, but if the scale says "158" I'm on cloud nine and can do anything in the world. Most likely I'll feel like going for a jog. Higher than 163? I might as well jump off a building. Even if everything in my life is good I still get depressed and end up making cookies and eating a whole batch. Personally, weight is over-rated. In fact, being thin is over rated! Being happy and satisfied and loving yourself is where it's at. I've already blogged about this a bit but I feel another blog post coming up... :-)

    Good luck and health!
    ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rawcos look awesome, just a question as I've only just seen your blog for the first time -- how do you figure the calories per serving for something homemade, especially that has so many ingredients? it seems like a lot of math to be doing every time you cook.

    Personally, after many years of being afraid of calories, I'm trying really hard not to count these days, but my inner obsessive is dying to know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I definitely have to try that recipe! I have two cauliflowers in the fridge so I think that is what I'll be eating for lunch!

    Thank Melody! I love your picture! You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am amazed it is so low-calorie! It looks so tasty and satisfying. Wonderful, and best of luck with your raw challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love your 100 cal. snack ideas. I'm definitely going to try some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love your 100 calorie snacks, they looks totally full of life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, are you going to go completely raw for 30 days? I will be really excited to see everything you eat! That rawco sounds yummy.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. the rawco's are amazing looking! i can't wait to try them...and this from a pregnant vegan who's been avoiding the kitchen. ;)

    thanks, melody!

    ReplyDelete