Friday, May 30, 2008

Lightlife Review and Results of the Raw Experiment

First of all, I have not been posting any 100 calorie snacks in a while. I am embarrassed to say that I have been WAY off my paying attention to my calories. Working in a restaurant makes it very hard... having to taste food ... when I do my RAW challenge, it is going to be difficult. I do not follow recipes.. I cook by feel and taste... oy.. hopefully, I can make many raw delights for our deli case! ... but getting back to the 100 calorie snacks... and my weight. I weigh in June 1st and will post my results... (it may be a week later as I am actually moving June 1st and won't have any internet til the 4th..)..

So, this delicious 100 calorie snack utilized Lightlife's Ham Slices. I really love these and do buy them in the store. 4 slices contain 70 calories, 1 g fat and 12 g protein. For this snack I smeared the slices with dijon and baby spinach and used the ham slice as a shell for a small roll up. 4 of them weighed in under 100 calories. I have also enjoyed them on toast with vegenaise, pickles, mustard, lettuce and tomatoes.... and with rice vegan slices. I have never had real ham slices, so I can't compare... and I don't like many faux meats, but I love these. If I recall, I also liked their bologna slices and I like their smart dogs.

Now onto the results of the little raw steel cut oat experiment. First of all, I used way too much water, second I did not have the flax meal, so I can't say for sure if it would have worked. The oats DID soften up and I think if I had used less water and the flax they would have made a decent pudding like thing. Maybe putting a tiny bit of pro-biotic powder or soaking the groats in rejuvelac would give the yogurt tang? I will say that since I had so much water, I made mine into a smoothie with a frozen banana. It was a disappointment in the way I felt. I had it before work one morning and was literally SOO HUNGRY almost right afterwards. I was seriously tempted to stop and Dunkin Donuts and get a freaken BAGEL and CREAM CHEESE... I felt an addictive quality to it... maybe it was because I hadn't had hardly any sleep the night before? Who knows... but I know I was VERY hungry that day. At work, I just wanted to stuff my face full of food... I controlled myself well and didn't get that bagel (which is a very good thing because that amount of white bread and the dairy surely would have made me sick)..
Also, the smoothie had over 400 calories.. VERY HIGH! I was much better off eating a ProBar for that amount of calories... at least those satisfied me for hours...
For now, my green smoothie in the morning is a MUCH better choice.

I use:
2 c water
1 frozen banana
2 c organic baby spinach
2 T golden flax meal
1 c strawberries
stevia to taste
lemon juice to taste

It makes around 3 cups... and holds me very well.

13 comments:

  1. Ahh, sorry that the experiment didn't turn out 100% correctly; but it was still fun to try, right? :0)

    That smoothie sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so weird to me how some breakfasts that are 250 calories are so much more filling and have staying power than breakfasts with 500 or 600 calories. I've been eating a serving of oatmeal with 1/2 cup of soymilk for breakfast every morning (sometimes with fresh fruit/nuts) and it seems to be the most filling for me. I'm surprised that the oats in your smoothie didn't have that same quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry it didn't work out, but yes, being very tired makes us hungry and crave things we don't normally eat- forget which hormone is responsible for that lovely gift.
    I really want to try your morning smoothie. Need to go buy some spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a bummer about the experiment! I've been thinking about toying around with soaked oats or sprouted grains, but I've never done it. Green smoothies are amazing breakfasts, though-- they definitely keep me going. I love 'em! Good luck with your move! (That's always a workout & a half, as far as I'm concerned!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Smart Dogs are the best vegan hot dogs we've been able to find :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the most beautiful blog, I always enjoy reading it very much! And your photos make me drool!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about the oats. I throw raw oats into lots of stuff and it always fills me up for a long time.

    Hope your move goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great snack! I don't think I've seen those lightlife slices anywhere, I'd definitely give them a try. I ate a LOT of bologna sandwiches as a kid.

    Sorry your breakfast experiment didn't turn out! I did a soaked oat smoothie last week that turned out well and kept me full, but I didn't have any expectations to hold it up to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your move went well. I know you're thrilled to be closer to your boys.

    I've been reading up on raw foods and tried a few recipes with mixed results. I'll be interested to see what you come up with during your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love raw food...my fav is raw tuna made with walnuts and nori. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, just wanted to say that i love your blog! i'm so glad i stumbled upon it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever tried the Lightlife Ham Slices either, but I'm not a big fan of mock lunch meats in general. Something about them is always so rubbery. You've managed to make them look beautiful in that first photo though!

    ReplyDelete