Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Figuring it out...




I am finding that the more I allow myself the freedom to eat what I want to eat, the more I am drawn back to eating raw foods. I would consider myself 60-70% raw and it is an easy and satisfying way to eat for now. The above pic was zucchini noodles with a walnut/balsamic topping. So delicious. The walnuts were ground with garlic, shallots, miso, nutritional yeast and umeboshi vinegar... then tossed with the zucchini noodles and balsamic vinegar... the above walnut mixture is my replacement for parmesan. I let the noodles sit for around 30 minutes and the vinegar and salt really helped soften them up... Local, organic tomatoes complimented this perfectly.

I ordered Chia seeds and look forward to experimenting with them.

On the other hand, I am enjoying tofu salad, hummus and other cooked foods with my salads...
What a huge difference it makes being able to use these foods... I'm also still struggling with wheat... finding myself eating whole wheat pasta or sandwiches several times a week.

I firmly believe I am gluten intolerant... I break out in hives when I eat too much wheat and when I make seitan.... also, I have struggled with insomnia my entire life and realized during my raw challenge it pretty much went away...and I think it was because of the lack of wheat in my diet.

9 comments:

  1. Mmm, love that zucchini noodles with walnut-balsamic topping dish!!

    I recently found out that I'm allergic to gluten/wheat, and cannot tell you how much more energized I feel now that I eat gluten-free (in addition to already eating 75%-80% raw).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been slowly adjusting to the idea that I need to and want to eat 60-70 percent raw. At first it was traumatic for me as I went from 70 percent cooked foods to 80 percent raw overnight for a three day cleanse which was not a good idea for me.

    Now that I am eating raw again but without restrictions I find I naturally gravitate toward 60 percent raw with little effort at all.

    I decided to get the high-speed blender and dehydrator and really go full-tilt with this in my life.

    Initially I had some serious detox symptoms during the raw cleanse I did but for the past two days I have felt SO GOOD!

    I have no allergies or intolerences but I am type 2 diabetic and I KNOW that by eating raw food I will be able to take control of my diabetes.

    I've been reading some David Wolfe stuff and watching some of his videos and he has a pretty realistic approach saying 70-80 percent raw is ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your food is always so gorgeous! I'm glad you were able to find balance between raw and cooked...that way you're eating healthy and you're still eating happily. As for the wheat, have you tried the sprouted grain bread? Is that gluten-free? I don't even know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wheat reaction is not synonymous with gluten intolerance or CD. If you react to wheat, it may be a wheat allergy, rather than gluten reaction...especially the hive part!

    The testing for gluten reaction is intensive and the golden test remains a biopsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It so hard to stay away from wheat, but it sounds like it may be best for you. The hives sure seem to indicate an allergy. You'll get it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that you're so aware of your body. Most of us will never be so aware.

    It's funny how healthy eating begets healthy habits. Believe it or not, years ago, I used to eat a soft pretzel and a Coke every day for lunch. Now the thought of that soft white bread makes me shudder (although I do love a Coke once in awhile with really spicy food).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you with eating so much raw. But I wonder why you are still drawn to wheat if you know it causes symptoms?? Have you tried breads, wraps, and pastas made from other grains like brown rice or kamut?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm glad you are feeling better and figuring out what your body needs! every body is so different...i'm glad you have realized that you have to listen to your body, and not what anything else says! this dish looks delectable btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The zucchini noodles look delicious! Good luck with your quest to eliminate wheat.

    ReplyDelete