Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Raw and the Cooked.. a fine balance

Raw free form Turnip Ravioli with Macadamia Nut Cheese

I used some of the cheese from my last entry for this super fast dish. I sliced turnips on my mandoline and topped each layer with the cheese, sun dried tomatoes and a fresh basil leaf. I made three layers and garnished it with my raw parmesan, evoo, sea salt and black pepper. Cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives complimented the flavors perfectly. The best part of this dish was using these HUGE basil leaves as a wrap for all of the filling that was left behind. The flavors were spot on.


Raw 5 Spiced Lettuce Cups

This was my lunch today and again, it was just delicious. I used a lot of spice and felt warm and cozy after eating it. I remember reading a while back that certain hot tastes can cool you off and others can warm you up. Ginger and Chipotle are two that I remember being used to warm the body, while habaneros are actually used to cool the body off in a hot climate.
This filling used a lot of ginger and some serrano chiles along with walnuts, turnips, basil, cilantro, carrots, 5 spice powder, garlic, shallots and lime juice.. oh and I used some stevia as well. The avocado and tomatoes brought everything together and this dish was very satifsying. I will definitely make it again.

Spicy Eggplant and Veggies

I had this for dinner a week or so ago.. super spicy eggplant, garlic, veggies, ginger, siracha, toatsed sesame oil.. If I remember right, I had a green smoothie with chia seeds as well that night.

Tempeh Reuben Burger and marinated Mushrooms

Again, this is from a while back.. The burger was made from tempeh, sauerkraut, chickpea flour and spices. I served it open faced with raw 1000 island dressing, arugula and raw marinated mushrooms..


Using leftovers, this salad was born. I adore arugula. It can hold its own with strong flavors and textures which makes for a very satisfying meal.

We got around a foot of snow last night are are due for more tomorrow. Perfect soup weather!

I've got eggplant that is begging to be used! I'm thinking I will make my tomato/eggplant/quinoa ... and this time I'll write down the recipe because it is sooo good!

12 comments:

  1. A fine balance, indeed - love my raw AND cooked food, so of course I'm lovin' all of yours :-)

    Lots of snow here too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous light in these photos! I'm finding that raw for breakfast, lunch, and snacks with a cooked dinner works really well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tomato-based soups so will be waiting for that recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Nothing like balance. Those meals look so tasty and healthy..mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures and they all sound so delicious.

    Nice blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your food is a piece of art, especially the ravioli.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm crazy for kalamatas!

    Question: what's the lil' dollop of red on the mushrooms? (Raw 5 Spiced Lettuce Cups)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:34 PM

    you put the most interesting flavors together and they sound sooooo good!!!
    ~Maryanne (from OD)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, as always, your pics are HIGHLY pleasing to look at! Food genius I tell ya! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is beautiful. The pictures you take really capture how delicious these meals must taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A whole array of anti-obesity pills and medicines are available in the market that helps you to trigger off successful weight loss but the weight loss diet pill Xenical is somewhat different as it prevents around 30% of the fat you take from being absorbed in your system. This further leads to less fat accumulation and ultimately weight loss becomes a reality. For more details on Xenical, visit the website http://www.weight-loss-truths.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos have such beautiful color and focus. Not to mention the food looks amazing! I think it's a good thing to balance out the raw and the cooked. I need to add a bit more raw to my diet...

    ReplyDelete