Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's been a long time! Zukay Live Foods Review


Super Raw Salad with Zukay Salsa

It's been over two weeks since I've blogged! Wow.. time flies. Life has been interesting as well as me not really having much new to blog about. How many times can I post pics of soup and foods that do not photograph well? I've been cooking a lot for myself and my boys.. but mostly foods that I've blogged about over and over and over. I would guess that many of us eat the same foods over and over?

I received a shipment of delicious Raw Condiments from Zukay Live Foods. These products are Raw and fermented, which means they have tons of amazing productive bacteria in each batch. Very good for you and your GI tract. You know those silly dairy yogurt commercials that claim to offer intestinal fortitude? Well, eat some of these LIVE products and you don't need to worry about downing nasty cruelty dairy yogurt! I will be blogging about all of their products, but for this post I used their Hot Salsa as a salad dressing. The first thing you notice when opening the salsa is that it bubbles. It is very alive! I tasted it and it was almost fizzing. I liked the fizz. My only complaint about this salsa was that it was not hot. In fact, I added cayenne and some pickled jalapenos to my salad. I think many people are afraid of heat.. not sure why! Well, maybe I am sure whey up here in the NORTH! I have taught many cooking classes and people are afraid of heat here. I say it is a good thing to train the Northern East Coast people to eat spicy foods! Other than the lack of heat, the flavor was spot on and I really enjoyed the product. It will probably take me a while to go through the rest of the samples since I am pretty much cooking for one here.



Lentil Soup
This soup was thrown together from leftovers. I used some perfectly spiced lentils, brown rice spaghetti in marinara, yellow squash, spinach and fresh basil along with some nutritional yeast to finish it off. Delicious and simple. Less than 20 minutes to warm up this comforting bowl of goodness. (I don't have a microwave, but if you did it would come together even faster I imagine?)

Another super fast but tasty dish.. scrambled veggies and tofu. The veggies were the star here as I used 3 oz of tofu to a large amount of zucchini, tomatoes, green pepper, onions, garlic and flavored the mixture with some kalamata olives and their brine, nutritional yeast and a lot of pepper. I also used 1 serrano chile with the seeds, so this had a nice spice to it. I finished it off with fresh basil.



Raw Spicy Noodles

Turnip and Zucchini Angel Hair topped with a my version of very low fat sesame ginger dressing.. topped with cilantro, avocado and cilantro. I just love this dish. I used to use whole wheat pasta, but the veggie angel hair is so delicious and makes me feel so energetic when I eat it. My kids love this too. My trick with that was not to tell them these were noodles, but just to feed it to them. I also like to cut the noodles with the veggie noodles as well and my kids don't seem to notice. The only downside is that unless I dehydrate the veggie noodles, this dish doesn'tt keep well due to the moisture being released from the veggies.



Black Bean Burger with Chipotle Mayo

One of my favorite go to meals... I make these out of either leftover black beans or black bean soup... The sauce is a tofu/vegenasie based chipotle mayo and compliments the burger perfectly. I like to eat mine open faced.


9 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Mel!! I've missed you and your tantalizing eats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mel! I've missed your fab meals! Everything looks great! I bought that salsa after a representive from the company harassed me into it..haha, he was doing a demo at my health food store. I liked it, but not enough to buy it again unless I was making Mexican food. You are right about the fizz, it was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so inviting and delicious! I've made my own cultured veggies in the past and they were fantastic. . . love that you can get "good" bacteria that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm healthy and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post - sorry I've been away from your blog so long, but I'll smarten up :) Love the lentils - always love lentils - and I'm going more and more towards raw too, so interested in the rest of your post. You always have such great food here! Keep it up, oh please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to every single one of your posts. Your pictures are beyond amazing and your recipes always sound stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowowowow I love your pictures and the lentil soup looks really good.

    Amazing! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think all of your food photographs well!! I don't think anyone would ever get tired of you posting your delicious food!

    If they sell that salsa here in Texas... I hope they add some heat to it! Otherwise I'm not sure people would buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did you like the Zukay relish? I've eaten almost a whole jar already.

    I can't wait to make turnip noodles! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete