Saturday, March 21, 2009

$3.33 a day: Raw and Cooked

I just love love love collard greens. They make the BEST wraps ever! The above was filled with spiralized daikon and carrtos, siracha, sesame seeds, wasabi, pickled ginger, avocado, scallions and my low fat flax sesame ginger vinaigrette. The $.50 cent avocados I bought two weeks ago are still very fresh. Buying avocadoes unripe and allowing them to just soften slightly, then putting them in the fridge helps to extend their life. Just take the avocado out the day before you want to use it and let it ripen up.
A different kind of salad


Bean burger on homemade bread. I love using kale or collards as the top piece of bread in a burger or sandwich. Not only does it save calories, it ups your nutrition big time!

First attempt at Raw Baked Beans


Yesterday on RaFu (my favorite online raw forum) someone asked if it would be possible to create raw baked beans? I of course, had to try to figure it out. These are my first attempt with what I had on hand. (and the pic looks gross.. it's hard to make raw baked beans look good). I actually liked them more than I thought I would.

Since I had my dehydrator going, I made some raw bread and crackers... and have 4 raw burgers. I also created a delicious raw BBQ sauce. I will definitely have some raw food recipes in my ebook.

21 comments:

  1. delish! the first dish sounds awesome...great flavors!!!

    i got 3 avocados for $1.78!

    i have seen pickled ginger @ the korean market near my house but have never picked it up...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! It all looks wonderful. Your bean burger is calling out to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors in your photos are amazing!

    Raw baked beans sound mighty tasty to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your food always looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collard greens = DEFINITELY holy yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just found your blog and i love it. i've never tried collard greens as wraps, but i'm definitely going to now. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love using collard greens. Your meals are so fresh and healthy!

    What was the ingredients in your raw baked beans?? I'm so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is so inspirational! I am also happy to hear that you will be including raw recipes in your cookbook. A question, what gadget do you use the spiralize your veggies? I have seen a few advertised but they have very mixed reviews. Could you tell me a bit about what you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks great but I really really want that burger!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! What are the little dollops of red and green on the top of the first pic?

    I LOVE collards too. How pissed am I that they just ranked in the Top 15 on the highest pesticide load list. Kale, spinach and lettuce are also in the top 15. Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love collards, too--great for wraps. Do you steam yours first, or blanch them? I find they're too tough raw. Everything looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love collard wraps. i had 2 today with raw nacho cheese. mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. All your food pictures are always a feast for the eyes! Besides everything is always so colorful it automatically lifts one's spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. RawFu is the best online community!! :) The beans look great to me! And of course I love using different veggies instead of bread. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a good idea, using leafy greens as your top bun - you're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i still have not tried using collards for a wrap! i must, must, MUST remember this! thanks, Melody! i never would have thought about baked beans - too awesome! and i'm totally going to check out that raw forum! wahoooooo!

    oh yeah, and thanks for the avocado tip as well. extending the life of produce = the best! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What did you use for the "bean" part? Sounds intriguing!

    And I FINALLY made your hot dogs last night. I haven't eaten one yet though. I'm having that for dinner and I'll post about it soon...and give you feedback. They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How I wish I could find collard greens in Germany! They sound so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog and I love it!! What a great and amazing idea! I am very impressed and your photos are beautiful. Frugal vegan food has never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:36 AM

    I will not agree on it. I assume precise post. Expressly the title attracted me to review the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous6:55 AM

    Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

    ReplyDelete