Thursday, September 30, 2010

Daily menu and Vegan Cornbread Recipe


If I had to pick one of my top 5 Fall comfort foods, it would be Chili. Add cornbread to it and you have a delicious, frugal meal that will satisfy a hungry teenage boy! The fiber in the beans allows the carbohydrates to burn slowly, giving my son the fuel he needs to work out and run long distances. You can add just about anything to chili; it is a true clean out the fridge type of stew. Actually, most soups and stews are great for using up odds and ends of vegetables, grains and legumes.

This cornbread can be made with whole wheat flour or a gluten free baking mix. I like Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Mix myself. It is pricey, though, so I use white whole wheat flour most of the time when I bake for my son.

Basic Gluten Free Vegan Cornbread

1/2 c golden flax meal
1 1/4 c rice milk
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c oil
1/2 t salt
1 c cornmeal
1 c Bob's GF All Purpose Baking Mix
1 T baking powder

Method: Pre-heat oven to 375

In a mixing bowl, add the flax, rice milk sugar and oil. Whisk for several minutes. Sift the rest of the ingredients into the bowl and mix. If you are using gluten free flour, whisk very well, If you are using wheat flour, mix just to incorporate.
Spray a cast iron skillet or 8 by 8 pan and bake for 30 minutes.

For a delicious topping, melt some coconut oil with cinnamon and stevia and drizzle on top of the corbread.

Now, onto my menu for yesterday.

First of all, I am finding this challenge, more difficult this time around. When I began this before, I had a very well stocked pantry. I don't have that anymore, so I am having to be more creative. I don't even many spices. I don't have a stock of dried beans and grains. My freezer is pretty empty. That's OK though!

BBQ Collard Wrap
Breakfast: Oatmeal with raisins, chia seeds and sesame milk
Lunch: BBQ Collard Burgers with fermented nut cheese
Snack: Green Smoothie ( collard, banana, water )
Dinner: Chili and Cornbread

For those with heartier appetites, add peanut butter to the oatmeal, double portions of chili and cornbread and coconut/cinnamon oil to the oatmeal and cornbread. Also, for lunch, burgers on bread instead of collards and add a piece of Pear Ginger Breakfast Bread; protein powder and rice milk in green smoothie.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try that cornbread recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! I love chili and cornbread; I'm going to have to try your recipe out next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chili! I'm ready for a big ole bowl right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love cornbread!!!! I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete