Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Leftovers: Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies

Being on such a strict budget, I look at food differently than I used to. A cup of soup is turned into burgers, veggie scraps become the base of a flavorful broth and yesterday, leftover Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal became cookies.
Having a quick something my son can grab before school is a must, so years back I began making breakfast cookies/bars/muffins with veggies, beans or protein powder in them. I just wanted my kids to have sustenance and being able to grab and go was the key to getting some good food into them.

When I haveleftover oatmeal, I automatically save it. I usually use it in smoothies, but decided to make cookies and I'm glad I did.
Now, when I say cookies, I don't mean dessert, I mean breakfast cookies. ( but they can double as dessert by adding some chocolate peanut butter frosting which let me tell you only gets BETTER after it's frozen )

This is a very rough estimate of what I did. I did not add any fat or sugar to mine, but feel free to if you want a sweeter, more decadent morsel of goodness. I'm including optional microwave directions. I figured I'd give it a try and see if it works and it does, although the baked cookies are definitely better.


Leftover Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

½ batch ( around 1.5 cups ) Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
1 c dry oats
2 carrots, pulsed really well in the food processor
½ c raisins or dried fruit
1/8 t Kal Stevia or ¼ c sugar
¼ t baking powder
Around ¼ c liquid ( juice or non dairy milk )

Method:
Mix well. Taste batter and add more sugar if desired. You can add more spices if desired as well.

Bake for 11 minutes  at 375

OR microwave for 10 minutes on parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray.

Let the cookies cool completely before eating.

Tomorrow is Raw Wednesday. I'm not sure what I'll be eating, but I am going to limit the fat this time.

I will be announcing a CSN store giveaway tomorrow, so stay tuned for that!

Lastly, I did not stick to my budget last week. It went over by 7 bucks, but I was feeding 3 people. This week I'm back on track.

14 comments:

  1. I feel terrible because I never save left-over oatmeal (not that there's ever really any left over, but still!). I'm grateful for this "cookie" idea!

    Thanks, as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the breakfast cookies...esp. with beans and veggies in them. It's wonderful that you don't let anything go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant way to use leftover oatmeal! In fact, now I may just want to make up a huge batch of oats specifically to have leftovers... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. going over your budget by just $7 when feeding 3 people isn't bad at all. i think it's amazing that you're able to stick to your budget so often. i REALLY need to do that. and i mean REALLY! i always make exceptions and i'm sure i can find creative ways to use up what we have on hand more often than not. i'm gonna brainstorm and create a budget for myself - i think it will save me so much money and force me to get smarter with foods and food waste. :) huzzah for cake cake breakfast cookie success! they look yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're baaaaaaaaaaack!

    Melody, sorry it's taken me so long to explore the new blog!! I'm so enchanted with the look of it, and excited to be reading you regularly again. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to use leftover oatmeal. My mom used to use leftover oatmeal and use it in pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also like the idea of breakfasts goods with beans and such. I don't like eating a very sweet breakfast so something like that would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd like my breakfast cookie WITH the chocolate peanut butter frosting. Why wait for dessert?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stumbled across your blog, and I'm impressed! Both with your budgeting skills, and with your creativity in the kitchen. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Melody,

    So glad you left that comment on my blog because I had lost your Google feed! Must re-subscribe. :)

    Re: liquid vs powdered stevia, I think the volume is supposed to be the same. Five drops equals about 1/4 tsp equals 1/4 tsp powder. I like NuNaturals--haven't found it bitter at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously, that looks so good I could eat it for breakfast every day!

    I love to cut out a good amount of sugar when I bake and add just a smidge of Stevia in its place. It always works out extremely well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I just signed up so I can leave you comments now!

    I love your posts and really enjoy your writing style. It strikes me as different from many bloggers, in that it's not at all 'wanna-be-cool'...you seem very down to earth and kind. Kind of hard to explain.

    Oh yes, and your 'portfolio' of pictures and recipes is incredible!!! You should be on Oprah (ok, I don't watch TV, nevermind Oprah, but it's supposed to be a compliment hinting at your stardom potential). :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Amber!

    Vegannifer, it really does work well.. stevia is great as long as you use it judiciously..

    Thanks Ricki! I use Kal, but if I'm ever out I am glad to know there's another tried and true brand out there.

    Andrea.. haha.. you sure could.. and the frosting has beans in it.. so it's healthy!

    Awww. Christine, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only been vegetarian for about a year, and high raw for a lot of that, so i'm LOVING the way you teach what to do with leftovers!!! I could do work miracles with leftover meat, but this is such an altogether different ...animal (teehee). Thanks so much!!! and PLEASE keep teaching!

    ReplyDelete