Monday, November 08, 2010

Salsa Recipe plus two easy sauces

I love salsa and always make it from scratch. You just can not get the same taste from the bottled stuff in the supermarket ( although I do have a fondness for Mrs. Renfro's Green Salsa in a pinch. )

Making salsa is really simple and very cost effective. This batch cost around $1. 50 and is worth every penny!

I like spicy food, but if you want a milder version take the seeds out of the chilies and only use 1.

Salsa
1 T oil
1 T coriander seeds ( or ground coriander )
1 t cumin seeds
2 T chili powder
Pinch oregano
1 large onion
5 Serrano or Jalapeno Peppers
1 t Tony’s Cajun Seasoning or Salt
Around ½ cup water
28 oz can tomatoes and their juice, crushed with your hands
5 cloves garlic. chopped
Stems from 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
Juice of 2 limes or 2 T balsamic or apple cider vinegar ( don’t forget to peel your limes and save the zest in the freezer! )
Method:
Over medium heat, add the oil and spices. Toast for several minutes or until very fragrant. Add the Onions and peppers along with the salt and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often adding water to keep the mixture from burning. Next add the tomatoes , cover and turn heat down to medium low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Take off heat, stir in the garlic, cilantro and lime juice. Puree  in a food processor or blend. I used a hand blender. Allow Salsa to cool then taste and add more salt if needed.

My salsa has been known to cause major fights between my brother and SIL. I used to give them a big batch and they would have to share; but now I have to give them each their own!

The great thing about salsa, is can serve as a base for BBQ sauce. Simply take 1 cup of salsa, add two T dijon mustard, pinch stevia or around 2 T brown sugar, 1 T molasses, a pinch of allspice and 1/2 t liquid smoke. Brush over seitan or frozen tofu drained of water and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

It can also serve as a base for Indian Curries. Per cup of salsa, add 1 T curry powder and pinch of cinnamon along with a hefty dose of fresh ginger. Curry in a hurry. Bake up some tofu or stir fry some veggies and chickpeas and finish it off with the sauce and you will have a fast, delicious dinner with amazing depth of flavor.
What is your favorite thing to do with salsa?


In case you missed my last post, I shared my recipe for Vegan, Gluten and Soy Free Brownies!

13 comments:

  1. Oh, that's a good idea ... using the salsa for bbq sauce. Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to try your salsa recipe! I usually make a chunky diced tomato one with onion, cilantro, bell peppers, and jalapenos, so I can't wait to try your twist on it...

    The cumin and coriander seed combo sounds so good! Thanks for the idea - I'll let you know how it turns out when I try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lordy, do we go through a lot of salsa at our house! I MUST try your recipe . . . the jarred stuff is spendy!

    My favorite thing to do with salsa is combine a couple cups with cooked brown rice and black or pinto beans, extra cilantro, diced red and green onions, some thawed frozen corn, and a diced bell pepper or two for nearly-instant beans and rice!

    Have you ever used fire-roasted crushed tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using canned tomatoes for salsa, especially now that all the tomatoes at the grocery store are pink and gross. This recipe looks killer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JD, I really like the seeds.. powdered spices work well too. but I'm strange and like the texture and flavor pop of the seeds.. Catherine, I LOVE fire roasted tomatoes..sooo good!.. and I love how you use your salsa.

    Mo, I definitely like canned tomatoes for this recipe.. although I love me some fresh pico too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty color. I've made an italian type salsa before and then a pico but nothing like this. I'm going to have to try this recipe out. Oh, I'll prepare myself for the fights that will break out over this stuff. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am obsessed with Peach and Mango Salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one inexpensive salsa! I love vibrant red color, and the pictures are beautiful!

    How awesome that it can become a curry in a hurry by just adding curry powder, cinnamon and ginger. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this salsa and it is delicious! I've never found any particular regular hot salsa that I always buy. I do like the Mrs. Renfrew salsas in the raspberry and mango flavors, but no regular salsa has stood out to me. I wasn't sure if I should leave all of the pepper seeds in it so I used about 2/3. It seemed really hot at first but after sitting overnight it was amazing. Thanks!

    Any thoughts on turning this into a spicy raspberry version?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kimber, I haven't had their Raspberry version.. but I have had the Habanero Peach? Is the raspberry super sweet? I would probably use raspberry in place of 3/4 of the tomato and add quite a big of sugar to make a syrup.. or stevia.. but fo the mouthfeel of a sweeter salsa, usually sugar is called for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks. It wasn't the Mrs. Renfrew's raspberry that I had, but I do love the habanero peach. It was pretty sweet I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE LOVE LOVE (the coriander in this sauce)!

    ReplyDelete