Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sugar Free, Vegan, Wheat Free, Fat free Apple Breakfast Cookies ( that still taste good )

I know, I know..  it's a bit ridiculous.. but wait, there's more! These cookies also contain beans.

They are breakfast cookies, so don't expect dessert. ( although if you don't eat much sugar and you are craving something sweet after a meal with a cuppa tea these would probably hit the spot! ) Adding 1 c of raisins and 1 c of nuts would turn these into a more traditional cookie.

I make these for breakfast and a quick energy snack on the go.

Just a note, this recipe contains psyllium husk. I used it as a binder and to improve the mouth feel since there is no fat in these babies.

I have been experimenting with the husk because I have it on hand and because when you cook flax seeds, you are killing the Omega 3 benefits. Psyllium has been working pretty well so far, but I don't think it would be a great stand in for flax in a more traditional dessert like a vanilla cake.  If you have experience baking with psyllium, I'd love to know your thoughts!


Apple Breakfast Cookies

3 c pulsed apples ( around 5 apples )
1 c hot white beans
1 c water ( if using sweetener reduce water by 2 3 T )
1 t vinegar
Very scant ½ t stevia or ½ cup sweetener
1/8 t cloves
1/8 t nutmeg
1 T cinnamon
Pinch salt
2 T psyllium husk
2 c old fashioned oats
1 t baking powder

Pre-heat over to 375

Method: Pulse apples in a food processor, set aside in large mixing bowl. Puree white beans, add to bowl. Add water to food processor and pulse to get everything off the sides, add to bowl. Now add the rest of the ingredients. Stir well. Drop by ¼ c scoops onto a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake for 20-30 minutes* or until the top seems very firm. Allow cookies to cool before eating. They will be better the next day.
Yield 24 cookies
*I think my oven is off because I didn’t anticipate having to bake these for so long, so check them after 15 minutes.


They have a great texture and like I said earlier, walnuts and raisins would be a great addition. I worked out the nutritional information per cookie:


45 calories
1 g natural fat
8 g carbs
1.8 grams protein
1.8 g fiber

So, you could two cookies for a 100 calorie snack! 
My son likes to put peanut butter on his for more calories and nutrition. 

22 comments:

  1. I so want to try these right now! I even have a few apples that have been sitting on the counter a little too long but are still fine to bake with! However, I'd have to work with flax meal... what amount do you think I'd need? Can't wait to have these for mornings when I don't have time to cook my oatmeal! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. layla, I'd go with 1/2 c flax meal

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the sounds of your apple breakfast cookies - and they look really scrumptious, too! i might try them with walnuts and maybe some raisins added in, and switching out the psyllium for flax "egg". psyllium and i don't get along too well, the few times i've had it my stomach has not been its happiest so i tend to stay away. i can't wait to try these out, Melody - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it is ridiculous at all--I think it is *brilliant*! You are awesome :-) Can I come live with you?!?

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cookies are in the oven, I'll let you know how it goes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 45 calories each? SIGN ME UP! Hello baby weight! ;) These sound fab and I am always for adding more nutrition to anything, yay beans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beans for breakfast? I'm all over it! Ok, so do you think pintos would work here? Because hubby allergic to white beans and I digest pintos the best of all beans. My guess is yes they would.

    I have used psyllium in flatbread. It's fine as a binder. I've never used it instead of a "flax egg" though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bitt, Pinto beans would definitely work..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two cookies for under 100 calories! I love it!

    I'm not at all familiar with psyllium husk, but I'm going to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay... i made them. they were very good. i halfed the batch and added 2 tablespoons of raisins. the psyllium husk binder worked very well. additionally, mine baked for about 30 minutes as well.

    they might not be dessert but they were too tasty to eat just one.

    well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. keda, I'm glad you liked them.. they are delicious with a little bit of peanut butter on top for a quick breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these cookies last night and I gotta tell you that I was really surprised at just how good they are! I used flax,agave, and great northern beans cause that is what I have in the house I had to add alittle more oatmeal most likely due to the agave but they came out just right, perfect with a cup of coffee/tea

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made these cookies last night and I gotta tell you that I was really surprised at just how good they are! I used flax,agave, and great northern beans cause that is what I have in the house I had to add alittle more oatmeal most likely due to the agave but they came out just right, perfect with a cup of coffee/tea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trude, I'm so glad you liked them. I think they are even better the next day too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my word! I've thinking for two days that I want to make oatmeal cookies, but hadn't had time to look for a recipe. :)
    I'll be going with the flax also, and probably adding dried cherries...on a hormonal day, I might just add some dark chocolate (shhhhh....don't tell).

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great. I'm so glad I found your blog! It's a new favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would like to try making these but I don't have psyllium husk and I'm not sure what you mean by substituting 1/2 cup flax meal for 2 Tablespoons psyllium husk. Did I get that right? It seems like a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Could garbanzos work? Im due for a grocery trip so that's all I've got :) I'll be baking these for my 2 1/2 yr old and myself to help us through busy mornings before daycare and school. So I think I will try adding peanut butter to "bulk" them up, or what would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I also forgot, can I use apple sauce instead of pulsed apples?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hot beans? Like right off the stove? Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hola, it's just how I've made it.. the hot beans help to plump up the oatmeal.. I'm not sure how it would work with cold beans or applesauce, but I'll bet it would. let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My son made these and they're fantastic. I'd like to make my own but I have no psyllium. Can I use chia seeds instead?

    ReplyDelete