Monday, December 20, 2010

Frugan: Beets three ways.


I have been on a beet kick lately since finding organic bunches for $2.99. It's a great deal because you get two veggies for one. The beautiful beets and their greens. I got 6 cups of beet greens per bunch; perfect for soups and sautes and they're organic! 

I tend to go through phases with flavors and lately, I've been using lots of fresh ginger. I like to dice it so you get these itty bitty bursts of flavor, with almost a crunchy texture. Fresh oregano ( buy the fresh herbs if you can, you can hang them to dry if you can't eat them all ), beets and ginger have making appearances in several over the past couple of days. 

The soup above was full of white beans, beet greens, carrots, potatoes, tomato, oregano and ginger. I finished it with some delicious cultured almond cheese sauce.  The sauce was made my my cultured almond cheese, orange peppers and smoked paprika. Super good.

The dish on the left was a beet infused savory oatmeal. Again, I used fresh oregano and ginger. Oatmeal is so warming and comforting during the winter and very very inexpensive. Finally, no matter how cold it is, I enjoy salads. Shredded beets and carrots, organic spring mix ( reduced produce bin $1.99)  and a mock blue cheese dressing ( made from cultured almond cheese ) totally hit the spot for one of my mini meals.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not usually into beets but lately have been roasting golden ones. I still need to make borsht.

    I think the clouds will obliterate the eclipse here, so there may not be a point to trying to see it. I'll have to settle for seeing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three dishes sound wonderful. I love beets, but usually just end up shredding them in salad or boiling them...I love the beet-infused oatmeal idea.

    I just found out about the solstice eclipse...not sure whether it'll be visible here through the clouds though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly stunning photos! I can't do portraits for the life of me, so I really respect the skill (and patience) that takes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That savory oatmeal looks like nothing I ever had. Would love to try! But it kinda made me laugh because the latest issue of VegNews has a small column that says what veggie trends are in and out (VegOld/VegNew). Apparently, savory oatmeal is out and savory french toast is in. Who knew!? I haven't tried either so I'm game :)

    ReplyDelete