4 T olive oil
1 t caraway seeds
1 T dried dill
4 t smoked paprika
2 large onions, diced
10 cloves garlic, pressed
½ c carrots , diced ( 1 small )
2 T tomato paste
1.5 t salt
3 T apple cider vinegar
3 medium beets, peeled and diced. Wash and chop beet greens ; set aside.
4 c cabbage, shredded
Reserved beet greens
2 c waxy potatoes, diced ( around 2 medium )
15 oz can canellini beans, drained or 1.5 cups cooked beans
6 c good quality vegetable broth ( lo w sodium )
2 T soy sauce
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 T fresh dill
- In a heavy bottomed 8 qt pot over medium heat, warm spices in the oil for 20 seconds. Ad onion, garlic, carrots and tomato paste along with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 10 minutes stirring well or until the vegetables are fragrant.
- De-glaze with apple cider vinegar
- Add beets, cabbage, beet greens, potatoes , beans and broth. Turn heat to medium-hi and cover.
- Cook for 35 minutes. While soup is cooking, caramelize shallots
- When soup is finished, stir in apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and fresh dill
Caramelized Shallot Sour Cream
2 c shallots, coarsely chopped
2 T olive oil or cooking spray
¼ t smoked paprika
½ t sugar
2 c sour cream
1 T fresh dill
Pinch sea salt
- Use a cast iron skillet over low heat
- Add shallots, oil, salt/pepper, paprika and sugar
- Cook for 30 minutes or until very brown.
- Stir often
- Let mixture cool
- Stir into sour cream along with dill.
If you are really watching your wallet, fresh beets can be a little pricey. You can substitute canned beets if need be, although fresh beets are much better, plus you get the fabulous beet greens.
Beet greens can be sauted like chard and are delicious with roasted garlic. Stir some into whole wheat or brown rice pasta along with some cultured seed cheese, olives, chickpeas, and tomatoes for a delicious meal.