I used to hate mushrooms growing up. I don't think I developed a taste for them until I was in my early 20's and my X insisted on topping pizza with them. Now I love them. As a side note, I also hated cilantro until I was 19 and pregnant and all of a sudden I couldn't get enough of it.
Mushroom Barley Soup with Chickpeas
- 2 T olive oil or Earth Balance
- 1 t dried thyme
- Heaping ½ t poultry seasoning
- Heaping ¼ t smoked paprika
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 t Tony’s Cajun seasoning
- 2 c chopped mushrooms
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 c chickpeas and their liquid
- 5 c water
- 2 T Dijon
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- ½ c barley
- 1 c chopped green beans (optional )
- 1 c chopped parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 c Nutritional Yeast
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 T fresh Thyme ( if you have it )
- Over medium heat in a heavy bottom soup pot, place dried spices in oil, add the onion, garlic, carrot, Tony’s and mushrooms.
- Sauté for 10 minutes.
- De-glaze with vinegar. Add chickpeas, water, Dijon, yeast and barley
- Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat down to simmer
- Cook for 30 minutes
- Stir in parsley, green beans, yeast, soy and thyme
- Taste and adjust seasoning
Yesterday, it was frigid. The wind was howling and again, I was craving something warming. I had some soup leftover and figured it would go really well over some soft poletna. I was right! I added some TVP and a potato that needed to be used and it became a delicious, stick to your ribs meal.
I think that I'm going to experiment with some breakfast polenta puddings using my bean milk. Organic, whole grain cornmeal is affordable and available in the bulk sections in your health food store or supermarket.
Stay tuned for a big Black Eyed Pea post either later today or tomorrow! I always eat Beans and Greens for the New Year. This years menu is going to be Cajun Black Eyed Pea stew and Collards. Yum!