These braised beet greens were topped with a couple T of my cultured almond cheese and made a delicious mini meal. I like my food spicy, so I included red pepper flakes and Tony's Cajun Seasoning. You could leave them out and just use a good seasoned salt instead.
Braised Beet Greens and Peppers
2 big or 4 small servings
- 2 T olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ t crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ t rosemary
- 2 c sliced onions
- 1 large red or orange bell pepper
- 1 small carrot
- very scant ½ t Tony’s Cajun Seasoning
- 2 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 8 cups chopped beet greens
- ½ c vegetable stock
- 1-2 T soy sauce ( taste after 1 )
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/8 t freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- In a 12 inch skillet place oil, garlic, pepper flakes and rosemary. Turn heat to low and slowly allow the garlic to caramelize. This will take around 15 minutes. Use this time to prep the rest of the ingredients
- Add the onion, pepper, carrots and Tony’s and turn heat to medium. Sauté for 10 minute or so
- Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar. Add greens and stock
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes
- Add soy sauce, pepper nutmeg and nutritional yeast. Taste and adjust seasonings.
I hope everyone is having a great week so far!