Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kicked Up Colcannon & White Bean Dip

The weather outside if frightful. Snow drifts taller than me, below 0 wind chills. Winter, you are not being kind this year!
I've never really minded winter in the past, but last year something clicked inside of me and I am not enjoying the cold like I used to.
Fortunately, it is easy to warm up with a bowl of good old fashioned comfort foods.
I really need to go shopping, so when dinner time rolled around last night I wasn't sure what to make. I wanted something fast, comforting and of course, healthy. Well, actually I wanted a big bowl of Caramelized Garlic Cheesy Mashed Potatoes, but decided on something healthier to fit into my 400 calorie mini meal allowance. I'm sure glad I did because these turned out delicious and just as satisfying.

Earlier in the day I made some white bean dip to have on hand. If you don't have any white bean dip you can use hummus or even just more mashed white beans and add more spices/soy sauce to taste in the final recipe. You could also use my Smoky Pimento Cheese spread with wonderful results.

All Purpose White Bean Dip


  • 2 c white beans, drained
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 10 cloves garlic
  • Pinch Salt
  • 2 T olive oil, divided
  • 2 T balsamic vinegar
  • ½ t rosemary
  • ½ t thyme
  • ½ c sauerkraut, drained
  • ½ t lemon zest
  • ¼ c lemon juice
  • Pinch nutmeg
  • 1 t Tony’s Creole Seasoning ( less if using canned beans)
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 2 T fresh parsley chopped

Method:

  1. Over low heat add 1 T oil to cast iron pan, Caramelize the onion, garlic with the dry spices and a pinch of salt; When the mixture looks dry, add the balsamic vinegar and continue cooking for at least 10 minutes. This step will take 20 minutes at least.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients to a food processor and mix until spread is a creamy texture. Stir in parsley.
  3. Taste and adjust seasoning
Now, onto the Colcannon! This might seem a little complicated due to the amount of ingredients, but it's not. My dish came together in 30 minutes. While the potatoes are in the microwave, begin the rest of the cooking.

Kicked Up Colcannon

  • 4 medium waxy potatoes, microwaved for 10 minutes
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 6 c chopped green cabbage
  • ½ t rubbed sage
  • ¼ t thyme
  • ¼ t rubbed sage (not powdered)
  • 1 c white bean spread
  • 3 T soy sauce
  • 3 T nutritional yeast
  • ½ c plain soy yogurt
  • 2 c mashed white beans
  • 2 T earth balance, olive oil or coconut oil
  • Lots of ground pepper
  • Soymilk or veggie broth if needed
  • Salt or Tony’s Creole Seaoning to taste
  • ½ t chipotle powder or smoked paprika if desired
  • Parsley for garnish

Method:

  1. Prick potatoes with a fork, microwave for 10 minutes. 
  2. Caramelize the onions in a large skillet with 1 T of the Earth Balance
  3. Add the cabbage and spices, turn heat up to medium and cook for 10 minutes
  4. Mix the white bean spread with soy sauce, nutritional yeast and soy yogurt
  5. Add the bean mixture to the veggie mix
  6. At this point, your potatoes are cooked and cool enough to chop, Chop them and add them to the pan
  7. Heat potatoes through, mash well with a fork ( or if you want a creamy texture, put everything in a food processor )
  8. Stir in last T of Earth Balance. If mixture is dry add milk or stock. Season with salt/pepper and chipotle/smoked paprika and garnish with parsley

Next time, I'm making a double batch and using it to top some Lentil Shepherd's Pie. Oh yeah! You could also play around the with greens, using kale, collards or chard and sub half sweet potato for a delicious twist.

Do you have any favorite comfort food recipes you'd like to see fruganized?

6 comments:

  1. this looks incredible! I was thinking of chickpea picatta over some colcannon, but with colcannon like this, who needs it?!

    I was thinking of bringing this to a potluck, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you have such a rough winter!

    Your colcannon version rocks! It sounds very nutritious and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, the weather does sound frightful. Hang in there and stay warm.

    Great recipes! I love the bean dip...I often put sauerkraut in hummus...all the other ingredients sound like delicious additions too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum--I *love* colcannon! Kale is my favorite in it.

    I never thought of putting sauerkraut in a bean dip before. Interesting!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. White beans are so under-rated. I used them for hummus a few times and it is great!

    http://www.haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been known to eat plain bowls of mashed potatoes for dinner when I'm in need of comfort food, so that colcannon looks like a seriously delicious upgrade! Must try that approach next time I need some warm, starchy goodness.

    ReplyDelete