Now, I wouldn't serve this to company unless they were already familiar with healthy eating. The texture is thickened with Psyllium Husk, which can be a little odd for some, but I really love it. It is such a soothing ingredient and full of fiber and very few calories. If you like tapioca or chia seeds pudding, then you will probably like this.
I started by making Bean Milk out of my white beans. You could use soybeans, rice or oatmeal instead of the white beans. My Banananog would also stand it nicely here. Rice or soymilk will also work, but I like the added nutrition and frugality of using beans.
This bean milk is delicious in smoothies, cooked into oatmeal or anywhere you would use soymilk. It's passable for drinking, but I like to use it as a base.
- 1 c white beans, cooked very well
- 4 c water
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ½ t rum extract
- Pinch salt
- ½ t cinnamon
- 1/8 t nutmeg
- 1 frozen banana
Blend for several minutes.
Orange Scented Coconut Barley Pudding
- 3 c bean milk
- 1 c water
- 1/2 t orange zest
- ½ c barley
- 1 c raisins
- 1 t cinnamon
- Stevia or sweetener to taste
- ½ c shredded coconut
- ¼ c psyllium husk
- 1 c soy yogurt
- freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes. Allow pressure to come down naturally.
- Stir in psyllium and let mixture sit for 15 minutes or let cool.
- If you don't have a pressure cooker, cook on stove for an hour or until barley is soft then stir in psyllium & yogurt
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg