Saturday, January 08, 2011

Frugan: Spicy Sesame Noodles (daikon)

I love daikon! It is such an versatile ingredient. You can pickle it, use it in a salad, shred it for a raw slaw, spiralize it for raw pastas, wrap it up, and fry it up in a pain to create delicious dishes that will remind you of cooked noodles! Click HERE to see the spiralizer I love and use. 

Today I used it in place of brown rice pasta for this delicious cooked Sesame Noodle Dish. 
Spicy Sesame Noodles
  • 1 medium Daikon, spiralized (around 6 cups)
  • 2 t toasted sesame oil
  • 5 scallions, diced
  • 1 T soy sauce
  • 1 T siracha
  • 1/4 c Wasabi Ginger Dressing
  • 2 T toasted sesame seeds
Saute all of the ingredients together in a non stick skillet for 10 minutes. Taste and add more soy sauce, black pepper and siracha if desired.






Believe it or not, Daikon noodles are delicious cooked with red sauce and pesto. The radish bite mellows out and it really soaks up the flavor of your sauce.

I'm thrilled to say that this is the daikon that I bought almost a month ago for $.29/lb which was maybe one of my best scores of all time! I usually pay around $.79-$.99/lb.

I've been asked by a few people about the reduced produce bin that I frequent. It is a chain store, but very localish one called Market Basket. I know they exists in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, but I'm not sure if they are in any other states? I recognize how fortunate I am to have access to such good prices.

9 comments:

  1. My husband used to work at Market Basket! Waaaay back at his first job.

    I can't wait for my spirilizer to come, it's on its way in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of daikon before, but anything that can work like noodles is good in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love daikon! I have to see if I can find that anywhere here. That recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS- I love my spirilizer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum your food makes me...hungry!

    Thanks for all your comments recently..they were inadvertently going into my spam folder but they are out, and thank you for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melody,
    This sounds so good and perfectly light.
    I've yet to "spiralize."
    Must do in 2011!
    xo
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Yum this looks fab!! Great blog by the way, a fantastic idea!!

    If your interested in other peoples vegan views please visit my blog and look at the vegan profiles :)

    Xx Yas

    http://mypurplegrape.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bitt.. that's so funny.. I think Market Basket is still one of the first jobs many kids in this area get! My oldest son worked there a while back too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daikon is 2.99 lb. here in South Dakota. not frugal, but delicious!

    ReplyDelete