Saturday, February 12, 2011

Amazing African Lentil Dip!


I am sick which really pisses me off. I had plans to visit with a good friend and I had to cancel after being up all night long with one of the worst headaches. Fortunately, it is lessening now and I'm able to sit up so I can post this delicious recipe I created yesterday.

This lentil dip is full of flavor and so good for you! Make it today!

African Lentil Dip
  • 2 T coconut oil
  • 1 t cumin seed
  • 1 t coriander
  • 1.5 t Tony’s Creole Seasoning
  • ½ t cayenne (or just a pinch if you don’t like heat)
  • ¼ t thyme
  • ¼ t cinnamon
  • Healthy pinch cardamom
  • Pinch fennel & turmeric
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 c canned or fresh tomatoes and their juice
  • 2 c cooked lentils
  • 2 T cilantro
  • 1 T balsamic vinegar
Method:
  1. Heat coconut oil over medium heat, add dry spices. Toast for 10 seconds
  2. Add Onion and sauté for 10 minutes
  3. Pulse garlic in food processor, transfer onion mixture. 
  4. De-glaze pan with tomatoes, add to food processor
  5. Add tomatoes, balsamic and cilantro and lentils to food processor; puree until smooth


This is seriously addictive and you can feel good about eating it. I just had a Collard wrap filled my my Kale Salad and some of this dip. Talk about a party in your mouth! So many flavors and textures. I highly recommend it and it's oh so healthy!


Thanks for the recipe suggestions yesterday! Keep them coming! It is apparent to me that I need to pay some homage to New England! Boston Baked Beans and Clam Chowdah will be on the menu soon! I've never had real clam chowder, but I am a super smeller and I am going to try to keep it as authentic as I can!  Last year I competed in a Chowdah Fest here in Portsmouth. I knew that I would not win going in, but I got a lot of GREAT response to my Thai Tofu and Sweet Potato Corn Chowdah. Vegan and Gluten Free! I was representing the restaurant I was working at at the time. It was mad fun! (the girl in the pic is not me, she was one of my co-workers and friends, Kim)..  I made 40 GALLONS of chowdah! I was the only vegetarian chowder there.


Keep those recipe requests coming!

16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your headache. :( Glad your feeling better and may that trend continue.

    You say to make the lentil dip today...OK! I can't find the Tony's creole seasoning around here though...I've looked for it before for some of your other recipes...I suppose any creole style seasoning would do?

    That is one BIG pot of chowdah! Looking forward to your next slew of recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, any Cajun or Creole Seasoning will do... even seasoning salt or even table salt. Tony's has a lot of salt in it, so if the spice blend you use doesn't you may need to add salt to taste. A T of soy sauce will work too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Creole info: I'm on track now! Also, it doesn't surprise me that your brother and sis-in law and kids love your food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks fabulous! I look forward to trying this and some of your other recipes. Love your creativity and budget sensibility!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melody, I had a whopper of a headache today, and ended up "curing" it by sitting in a very hot bath with a cold cloth on my eyes/forehead. It helped SO much!

    P.S. Thanks for your supportive comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man, i'm glad you're feeling a little better now, bu that is super frustrating that you were sick. no fun at all. but your african lentil dip looks sooooo goooood - i love lentils so much and i never thought to use them in a dip. brilliant and tasty. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made your Curried Sweet Potato Soup today. Going to blog about it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that collard wrap looks beyonddd delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really hope you're feeling better. You are so kind to share your wonderful recipe even while not feeling well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM YUM YUM!!! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. RYC: Yes, you'd be a natural for the food budget group, of course. I'm going to have to try the green Mrs. Renfro's. I need a good green really badly. The ghost pepper, btw, is hot as hell. Painful. Also, kinda salty. Their habanero is great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. no! ugh im sorry you dont feel good Melody! that cold is going around like crazy!

    that is so cool that you made a vegetarian chowder that was in a competition! thats really really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lentil dip! Brilliant! I love the seasonings in this dish and I adore anything with a lentil in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your recipes always seem to come at the perfect time- I just bought a bag of red lentils! I think I might extend this one out into a soup though, since those flavors sound wonderful and I'm still craving warm bowls of soup and stew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you are sick ... Get better soon! That lentil dip looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete