I loved all of the pancake suggestions from my last post! I think the one I'm most interested in trying is the frozen corn kernels.
For lunch, I went to my freezer and grabbed one of my 2 cup portions of frozen food. Today's deliciousness was my New Years Day Black Eyed Peas and Greens! Since I spiced it knowing I would eat it over rice, I decided to add a couple T of dried quinoa ( I have a very small stash I use very judiciously since quinoa is so expensive now ) and water to make a stew. What I LOVE about the freezer is that it actually IMPROVES the taste of many soups/stews. The flavor was out of this world. The little chunks of ginger were still crisp and gave delightful bursts of flavor with every bite.
If you aren't utilizing your freezer, what are you waiting for? Here are some links for several of my favorite freezable recipes:
- Chana Saag
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Pie (make this ahead for Valentine's Day!)
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Creamy White Bean Stew with Collards
- Chipotle Split Pea Soup
- Thai Tofu and Veggies
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 t Tony’s creole seasoning
- ¼ t cumin
- ¼ t coriander
- 2 c HOT chickpeas (reserve ½ c cooking liquid)
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 T tahini or peanut butter
- 2-4 T chickpea cooking liquid as needed or Olive Oil if you aren't watching your calories
- Juice of 2 limes ( around 3 T )
- ¼ c chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Pulse garlic and tony's in food processor until garlic paste is formed
- add the rest of the ingredients and puree until totally smooth
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more lime juice if needed.
I just love hummus! It's so versatile. I am planning on using a good portion of this in soup later on this week.
Here are some of my other hummus recipes:
What are your favorite hummus flavors?