Thursday, February 17, 2011

Gluten Free Strawberry Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Bars

I'm staying at my old house because my X is out of town and cooking for both my sons. It's so nice to have my kids and dog in the same house. It's really the little things in life.

I made a batch of these delicious muffin bars. They aren't very healthy, but they could be worse! They are a cross between a muffin and cake I guess. You could dress it up with a glaze and serve it as a dessert or go simple and sprinkle powdered sugar on it. Whatever you do, make sure it's eaten within a day or so at the most because gluten free baked goods dry out really fast.

Strawberry Lemon Muffin Bars
  • 1/2 c flax meal
  • 1.5 c non dairy milk 
  • 1/2 c olive oil 
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1.5 c chopped frozen strawberries
  • juice and zest of 2 lemons
  • 1 T poppyseeds
  • 1/4 t nutmeg
  • pinch turmeric for color if desired
  • 2 c Bob's Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Mix
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 2 t baking powder
  • healthy pinch salt 

Method:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 375
  2. Whisk first 9 ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Beat super well. Let stand for 15 minutes
  3. Sift in the dry ingredients. Mix very well. 
  4. Spray a 9 by 13 pan with cooking spray, bake for 30 minutes, rotating pan after 15 minutes

I also made a big batch of our favorite Thai Tofu Stir Fry using frozen broccoli. 

I'm totally obsessed with hummus filled collard wraps. I can't get enough of them. I've been eating them every single day. I am so sad to hear that many of you in different countries don't have access to collard greens! I wonder if you can grow them? If you have some land, I can send you some seeds if you'd like! 

6 comments:

  1. Oooh scrumptious bars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bars look like a wonderful snack! And what a great flavour combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look delicious. thanks for making them gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever baked withb strawberries! Fabulous idea!

    Aw, thanks for the lovely offer about the seeds! Unfortunately Australian customs is so evil that I doubt they'd get through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bars sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete