Thursday, February 03, 2011

Making your own Tahini, Goddess Dressing & Yummy Soup

I love tahini so much. Growing up, we always had it on hand and I ate it like peanut butter. One of my favorite snacks was rice cakes with tahini and honey. ( I eat local honey, no interest in a debate about it, if you feel more comfortable not eating honey then it's wonderful you do what makes you feel good. )

Today, one of my favorite was to eat is is stuffed in a collard with a banana, shredded carrots and a drizzle of honey. Yum!

Back to tahini. It is downright expensive! Since I am a hummus lover, tahini is an ingredient that is pretty important. I do use Peanut Butter in my hummus with great results, but sometimes I just want tahini!

Making your own tahini ( and other nut butters ) is so so simple. You need three things:

  • Nuts or seeds
  • Food processor
  • Skillet to toast seeds (optional)
I buy my seeds in bulk from Hampton Health Food store. They are $3.15/lb. I used around a cup or so for the tahini. First, I toasted the seeds in my cast iron. This step adds an amazing nutty flavor to the tahini and helps to remove bitterness. Then I add the seeds to my food processor and go to town. I let it run for a good 4 minutes.
After 4 minutes or so it began to come together almond like a dough would. At this point, I added several T of water and puled until it became nice and creamy. I also added a pinch of salt, but you don't have to. 
Easy peasy! I made some Goddess Dressing:
  • 3 T Tahini
  • 2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 2 T Braggs or Soy Sauce
  • 2 Green Onion
  • 2 Cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger
  • 1/4 t cumin
  • 1/2 t lemon pepper
  • 1 c veg stock
  • 2 t chia seeds 
  • 2 dates
  • 1 T fresh parsley
Then I took a cup of cooked soybeans and blended it with around 1/4 c of tahini, 4 cloves garlic and 2 T ginger and 4 c vegetable broth.  I added this to a pot with sweet potatoes and millet. While that was cooking, I caramelized some onions and collards in a cast iron skillet. Then I stirred in some cilantro. I added the veggies to my millet/soy/tahini mixture and it was a delicious soup. I ate half of it for dinner and have the rest in the freezer.

I should mention, I still have enough tahini for two batches of hummus! And it cost me around $1.25 for the batch! 

Do you make your own nut or seed butters? 

17 comments:

  1. years ago I had a peanut butter machine- it looked alot like an air pop popcorn popper, used it a few times then lost it in a move. since then I have not made my own nut butter my local health food store does have a fresh make pb machine that the coustomer uses herself to fill bulk containers-no sugar-no additives, good stuff
    I also love honey, but it does not love me! it affects my blood suger (diabetic)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me miss my food processor so much. It's in Sweden and I've been living abroad for more than a year now. I do have my immersion blender but I just don't think it would do the trick. And tahini is sooooo expensive here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, I love it! Thanks for sharing, Melody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, goddess dressing is so delcious. I have been considering adding local honey back into my diet because me & the hubby have terrible seasonal allergies and it's supposed to be a good natural cure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made my own nut/seed butters before, but I don't really have anything to make it with -- no food processor or blender. I try to buy large jars of PB when it's on sale, and tend to buy tahini in bulk when I need it. I NEED to try your Goddess dressing recipe! We both love it SO much, but the bottles are so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I've never tried making my own tahini, but it sounds so much cheaper. I have paying almost $10 a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really miss Goddess dressing (it was wheat-free for awhile). Now I can make my own, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last jar of tahini that I bought was SO disgustingly bitter! I think I will do what you do and make my own from now on. That bitter jar is almost full and sitting in the back of the fridge reminding me of what a waste of money it was

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg is that Goddess dressing like Annie's?! Because I would looove a low-fat alternative and yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've been wondering how to do this. bless you miss melo-meals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so cool. I have never done anything like that. Have you ever found reasonably priced hemp seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love making nut butters! i've done almond butter and peanut butter in the small attachment for my immersion blender. think maybe i'll try sunflower butter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried to make almond butter in my Vitamix, but it didn't turn out that great. I used it in chocolate almond smoothies because it wasn't really spreadable. I will definitely try this tahini recipe! The goddess dressing looks great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. for some reason i can get a jar of tahini pretty cheap in CA. so when im there i get a few. but i had been wondering if you could make your own. i love the goddess recipe! when im out of dressing the next time im going to try it! how long do you think it will last? about four days?

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good sauce or dressing can absolutely make a meal- It's always nice to have new ones to try out!

    By the way, I just love that bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I make my own almond butter. I get almonds at Costco for about $3.50/lb (not organic, sadly), so I can make it pretty cheaply. I love my food processor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. stumbled on this looking for DIY tahini and some tips. missing your blog but hope you are doing something fun!

    ReplyDelete