- Gluten Free Muffins
- Gluten Free Brownies
- Gluten Free Cornbread
- A Gluten Free Cake or Cupcakes
- Gluten Free Cookies
- Sugar Free, Gluten Free Breakfast Breads
It was fun to come up with different combinations of flavors so I didn't get bored and this was one of my very favorite cakes! I have changed my recipe a bit to make it a bit cheaper by using coconut in the frosting instead of earth balance or shortening. I got the great idea to make coconut butter out of dried coconut from Heatheatsalmondbutter! What a GREAT alternative to the super expensive coconut butters out there.! Thanks Heather.
So, I have changed up the recipe just a bit and now I'm putting it out there for YOU to test if you wish. If you don't have lemongrass, leave it out and add the zest of another lemon.. it will still be really good.
My secret ingredient in gluten free cakes is mayo! Of course, I use my Low Fat Vegeanaise Alternative in my cake. Have you made it yet? It's so good! I've been asked if you could sub yogurt for the mayo and you might be able to, but I can't guarantee results. In fact, that is something I want to talk about for sec.
The recipe I post are made with the ingredients I choose for a reason, so if you substitute things I can't guarantee the results!
So, that being said, here's the recipe:
Lemongrass Cake with Coconut Frosting
· ½ c golden flax meal
· ¼ c low-fat vegan mayo
· 1 c sugar
· 1 t vanilla
· 1 t coconut extract
· Juice and zest of 1 lemon
· 2 T lemongrass (I get mine frozen at my local ethnic market)
· ½ c light colored oil
· 1.5 c Bob’s All Purpose GF flour
· 2 t baking powder
· 1 t baking soda
· ½ t salt
Method: Pre-heat oven to 350
1. Mix flax, mayo, sugar, extracts, lemon juice, zest , lemongrass and oil together very well until everything is totally incorporated
2. Sift together the flour, powder, soda and salt into the wet mixture and mix together completely. You don’t have to worry about over working this dough. Mix super well!
3. Spray a 9 by 9 cake pan with cooking spray, pour batter into pan and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
4. Cool cake completely on a wire rack
· 1.5 c unsweetened coconut shreds
· ¼ c nondairy milk
· 3 – 4 c powdered sugar
· Juice and Zest of 1 lemon
· Pinch salt
1. In a food processor, process the coconut and milk if needed until coconut turns into butter like substance. This will take around 4 minutes
2. Add the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest, salt and process until it comes together like frosting adding milk as needed
If all of this sugar is not what you're looking for then check out some of some of these recipes:
- Chickpea Flatbread
- Kale Salad
- African Lentil Dip
- Southwestern Barley, Black Bean and Veggie Stew
- Chana Saag
- The Best Chickpea Salad
If you missed yesterday's Lasagna with White Bean Basil filling click here!
Happy Monday Everyone!
What are your favorite flavor dessert flavor combinations?