Thursday, March 24, 2011

20 Minute Split Pea Soup


I know, I know... I eat split pea soup all the time... you're right! Sometimes it seems a bit redundant to keep posting about the humble pea, but I think it just may be one of my all time favorite foods. You see, when you cook the soup in a pressure cooker, it become so creamy. The end product is closer to mashed potatoes than it is to soup! .. and with a hefty does of protein and fiber, well, this is a win-win all around!

This is a super simple variation of my Chipotle Split Pea recipe. I've added some lemon zest and red wine vinegar because that is what I had around. The lemon zest was a lovely addition. I buy lemons on sale and zest them before using. I keep the zest in the freezer to add to recipes.


20 Minute Split Pea Soup
  • 2 T EVOO
  • 1 t Italian Seasoning
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 T Cajun Seasoning
  • 16 oz split peas
  • 6 c water
  • 2 chipotle peppers, minced
  • 3 T nutritional yeast
  • 3 T  red wine vinegar
  • Soy sauce/pepper to taste
  •  1/2 t Lemon zest
Method:
  1. Saute onion, garlic, carrot and spices for 10 minutes
  2. Add split peas, water; cover and bring to high pressure for 3 minutes
  3. Turn off heat and allow pressure to come down naturally. 
  4. Stir in chipotle, yeast, vinegar, soy sauce/pepper and zest 
  5. ENJOY!

16 comments:

  1. Okay, its official - I need a pressure cooker! I've been on a huge pea kick lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I don't have a pressure cooker, any other suggestions?

    Thanks, can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe! I have so got to get a pressure cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love split peas soup in the pressure cooker! So many fun things to toss in there! I just realize I have no idea what I'm having for dinner tonight...and I have two bell jars filled with split peas....looks like I'll be making this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaycee, you can cook it on the stove. Don't add any salt or acid until the peas are totally cooked. To get it this creamy you will have to cook it for several hours and probably add more water

    Here's the link to the pressure cooker I use!

    http://www.amazon.com/Presto-307912-6-Quart-Stainless-Pressure/dp/B00006ISG6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300979397&sr=8-2

    I hope you like the soup JL

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! yum!
    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete
  7. This soup sounds much better than the split pea soup I practically lived on during my early twenties in New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never use my pressure cooker. I don't like the disconnect I feel when I can't just open the lid and stir or taste my food as it cooks. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bianca, I totally get it...! It is a different way of cooking..

    ReplyDelete
  10. The idea of the satisfying taste of pea soup with a mashed potato consistency sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Split pea soup is so underrated as a quality vegan soup! So glad to hear this variation. :)

    http://haymarket8.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm back. I made it tonight..I made a few tweaks based on what I had on hand but OMG, soooooooooo good! Served it over a baked sweet potato and topped with homemade raw, vegan (cashew) sour cream. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. split pea soup--ready in a split second! looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Split pea is one of my favorites! I can never get enough! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great tip about the lemon zest in the freezer--thanks!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete