Monday, March 21, 2011

Curried Wheatberry Salad


HUGE RECIPE POST HERE!


Wheatberries are a delicious whole grain. You can substitute Spelt or Farrow if you wish, but these chewey morsels are super easy to come by in the bulk section of you health food store or well stocked grocer.

To cook wheatberries, place 2 c dry berries in 6 cups salted water for 45 minutes. Drain like you would pasta.

This recipe calls for 3 cups cooked wheat berries

Curried Wheatberry Salad
  • 3 C Cooked Wheatberries
  • 1 c shredded carrots
  • ½ c diced celery
  • 1 bunch scallions, white parts only, chopped
  • ½ c raisins or dried cranberries
  • ½ c sunflower seeds
  • 2 T chopped crystallized ginger
  • 1 c cilantro, chopped\
Dressing
  • 1 c chickpea cooking liquid
  • 1/8 t stevia powder or 2 T sweetener of choice (if you have maple syrup . Use it!)
  • ¼ c apple cider vinegar
  • 1 T Brown Mustard
  • 2 T olive oil
  • ¼ c soy sauce 
  • 1 T golden flax meal
  • ¼ t cardamom
  • 1/8 t nutmeg
  • 1/8 t cinnamon
  • 2 T Curry Powder
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • 3 T nutritional yeast
Method

  1. Mix the salad ingredients together.
  2. Make dressing and use as much as needed to dress the salad
  3. Taste and adjust Salt/Pepper
Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I love your dressing!!! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks awesome! i'm excited to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me craving this salad now. The dressing sounds so full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so much about wheatberries on American blogs, I'll have to try and track them down in Australia! Until then, at least I can make the dressing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm! I think I'm going to try this with sprouted wheat berries! It's finally warm enough for raw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried cooking wheatberries before- this salad seems like an excellent starting point! Your blog inspires as always. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a similar salad at a restaurant a few months ago that I've been meaning to re-create. I'm so excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete