I have yet another cold. This one is a doozy, so I've been craving hot spicy food. This soup fits the bill and came together super fast. I has white beans in the freezer and used frozen broccoli which I got on sale for $.99/lb. I thinned out some cultured coconut milk (recipe will come soon) for the topping.
Southwestern Broccoli Cheese Soup
2 T coconut oil
1 t chipotle powder or smoked paprika if you don’t like heat
1 t cumin
1 T chili powder
1 large onion, diced
1 small carrot, diced
6 big cloves garlic, pressed
1 t garlic salt
Around 2.5 c white beans and their cooking liquid (2 15 oz or 1 29 oz can)
2 c waxy potatoes, (around 2 medium) medium chop
1 c salsa
1 c crushed tomatoes
1 T yellow mustard
2 c water or broth
16 oz frozen broccoli
1 T apple cider vinegar
½ c nutritional yeast
Salt/Pepper or Lemon Pepper to taste
1. Sauté the dried spices, onions, carrot and garlic along with the garlic salt. If you are using canned beans then by all means use less garlic salt
2. Add the beans, potatoes, salsa and tomatoes along with the broth. Cover and bring to a strong simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Puree with a hand blender or in a food processor
4. Stir in the broccoli, yeast and vinegar. Cover and let soup sit for 10 minutes. Blend again
5. Taste and adjust seasoning
I used 2 whole chipotle peppers in my soup in place of the powder .. so you could do that if you'd like. I wrote the recipe using the dried powder for simplicity.
I am giving up coffee for lent. I am not Catholic, but one of my best friends is and I was inspired to give something up after our conversation. I will still drink tea for the caffeine.
Are you giving up anything for Lent?