This Feta is an old recipe, but oh so good! I use Agar Powder which can be found in the bulk section of your health food store or online. I have never used agar flakes so I can't guarantee how it will come out if you use them.
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 3/4 t kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1/2 t dried rosemary
- 1 T agar powder
- 2 t umeboshi vinegar or 1 t soy sauce, 1 t lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 4 T lemon juice
- 1/4 - 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the tofu, salt, garlic, spices and agar powder in a food processor until totally smooth. This may take several minutes
- Scrape mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, whisking constantly for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and stir in the vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil. I usually use 1/4 cup or even less, but it is really good with more oil if you don't care about calories
- Pour into a 2 cup square container and allow it to cool, uncovered for several hours, then cover and park it in the fridge overnight .
This recipe was inspired by Bryanna's tofu feta!
Crumble it on a salad or make a Spanikopita Pie!
And of course, Portrait of the Day! SEE WHY I AM DOING THIS!