Now, I know this has a lot of ingredients, but if you don't have all of the various spices then please use 3 tablespoons of curry powder and a pinch of cinnamon. I used whole seeds in this recipe, but you don't have to if the texture bothers you. They will get stuck in your teeth a bit, but flossing is a good thing, right? The cumin seeds don't and really add a special flavor POP, but if you only have ground cumin that's OK. It will still be delicious.
You will notice the inclusion of chili powder, yellow mustard and white vinegar. I use what I have on hand to create certain flavors, but you can certainly add lime juice. I would have used lime juice in the past for sure and it's super yummy! I topped my bowl with toasted coconut.
Notice, I use the cilantro STEMS here? They add that amazing cilatnro flavor and the texture of the stems pops in your mouth. *plus you save the rest for a pretty garnish and use in other dishes!*.
I used my pressure cooker. You can cook it on the stove, but don't add the Tony's or Salt until the beans are cooked. I think you will need to cook this for at least an hour to get it good and creamy.
Curried Yellow Split Pea Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Cayenne to taste (I like it spicy so I added 1 tablespoon, that will probably be too much for most people)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon Tony’s Creole seasoning
- 1 pound dried yellow split peas
- 8 cups water
- Stems from 1 bunch of cilantro (around ½ cup chopped)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- Soy sauce and black pepper to taste
- Over medium high heat add the coconut oil and the spices. Wait til the seeds start to pop then add the onions, garlic, ginger and Tony's (or salt)
- Turn heat to medium and saute the veggie/spice mixture for 5 minutes
- Add split peas and water
- Lock pressure cooker lid, turn to high heat and bring to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat, let the pressure come down naturally
- Stir in rest of ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings
- Drool all over your bowl and try to stop eating before you get too stuffed!