I am slowly but surely using up the greens from my friends garden! I am actually thinking of having a big meal next Thursday at my house so I can cook up all my food an invite people over here to take it home! I will be moving on Saturday... and wow... life is just chugging along!
If you are localish and want to come to a big feast, let me know.. I am in Portsmouth, NH...
Here's a recipe for Balsamic Roasted Tofu with Kale and Sun Dried Tomatoes..
- 14 oz extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (reserve 2)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ t cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bunch kale (around 10 cups) washed, and chopped
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes (pour 1 cup boiling water over them, reserve soaking liquid)
- ½ cup dried shitake mushrooms (optional; pour boiling water over them, reserve liquid for another recipe if desired)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Good pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Soy sauce/lemon pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- Cube tofu, toss with 1 T soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and 1 T olive oil, place on sheet pan in a single layer and cook for 30 minutes… meanwhile...
- Heat a 12 inch skillet to medium heat; add the remaining olive oil, onion, garlic and spices.
- Sauté for 5 minutes; de-glaze with balsamic vinegar
- Add Kale, tomatoes and mushrooms. Toss pan a couple times, and add the tomato soaking liquid
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- When tofu is ready, add to the pan along with nutritional yeast and nutmeg
- Season with soy sauce and lemon pepper to taste
This is delicious over pasta, brown rice, soft polenta or any other favorite grain. Quinoa of course comes to mind and so does millet!
What are your favorite ways to use Kale?