Monday, September 12, 2011

Mess o' Greens, 5-Spice Slaw and Thanks!


First of all, I want to thank you guys for the great comment and support on my last entry where I came clean about Compulsive Overeating

I have so many thoughts and answers to the questions... which I will begin addressing.. well, probably some them in in this post! ... but first...  

OMG.. my friend Gayle gifted me with a HUGE amount of greens from her garden.  Kale and Chard... Oh yeah...  Like enough to last me until I move to Boston!

I adore greens and they could not have come at a better time!  I actually spent around $31 outside of my planned $100/month on beans the other day because I saw them over double in price overnight and that freaked me out...   but with this amazing produce gift, I might still be able to meet my budget! 


  The other day I made Asian 5 Spiced Slaw... which turned out great...  
  • 4 cups green cabbage
  • 2 cups red cabbage
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 red bell pepper (optional) 
  • 1 green pepper (optional)
  • 1 bunch scallions
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • Wasabi Ginger Dressing
  • 1/4 teaspoon 5 spice powder
  • 1/2 cup cilantro 
  • Soy Sauce, toastesd sesame oil and apple cider vinegar and Siracha to taste 

Method:
  1. Shred cabbage, carrots and peppers, chop scallions and massage with salt until cabbage breaks down
  2. Put in colander for 30 minutes
  3. Toss with 1/2- 1 cup dressing, 5 spice and cilantro depending on your taste and add soy sauce, oil, vinegar and siracha to suit your taste.. 

One thing I'd like to address is that many of you mentioned that being overweight doesn't necessarily mean you are unhealthy.. and while I believe that is true..

For ME.. it's not.  I am overweight because I binge on food that is not good for me.. most of the time that is wheat.. and even though it's generally homemeade breads... it is still NOT good for me.  

I do it for emotional reasons... which is not healthy. No judgment on myself.... just a reality check! 
I am not overweight because I eat coconut or olive oil or eat grains.. 

I am not approaching this with a diet at all... I am simply ready to begin living a lifestyle that will not allow me to be overweight. 

I recognize I DO have to work harder than many...  I lost my ovaries when I was 23 due to huge tumors... and have been in surgical menopause since then... and that DID change my metabolism...  and I HAVE to work harder ... but I have also been at an ideal weight since then, so I know it is possible.  

Thanks for reading and for all of the wonderful, supportive comments.  I feel very fortunate to have so many wonderful people who take the time to cheer me on! 

9 comments:

  1. The words you're saying...it could be me speaking them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed at how you are able to share your situation. I am inspired to make changes in my own life and to start living a truly healthy lifestyle! Thanks and I look forward to reading more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a similar slaw the other day...I included radishes as well as the other veggies you used, and I also included some sesame oil in my dressing. No ginger store-bought dressing, I just used fresh ginger (used my mini food processor to mix the dressing ingredients, including garlic and ginger). Hubby and I have been striving for a healthier lifestyle, and we're trending toward vegetarian (but not vegan; we can't give up eggs, cheese, and yogurt). We might eat salmon or chicken once in a blue moon, but the vast majority of our meals are vegetarian these days. Even when we ate meat regularly, we still ate WAY more veggies than other folks we know. Now we're making an effort to eat mostly vegetarian, as well as shooting for 50% raw. Slaw is great for that! I have a Mexican-inspired slaw recipe and an Asian-inspired slaw recipe that we eat regularly.

    As for over-eating and being overweight while eating seemingly-healthy foods, I totally understand. I also have PCOS (hormone disorder that causes diabetes and all sorts of other bad things, and makes losing weight difficult). For years I wondered, "why am I still fat when I eat so many healthy foods?" Well, it's because I didn't understand proper portions (especially of things like sauces and condiments) and I didn't eat regularly, so I would starve and then binge, starve and then binge. That wreaked havoc on my already-messed-up (due to PCOS) metabolism.

    I also had to realize that not all foods are good for all people. PCOSers are supposed to have very good luck with lower-carb/higher protein diets. I did that for the last couple of months and lost 17 pounds, but I'm pretty convinced that animal protein (and too much protein in general) is a big cause of cancer and heart disease, so I'm experimenting with a vegetarian lifestyle for the next few months to see if I can continue to lose weight without eating high amounts of protein (especially animal protein), even with my PCOS.

    When I was doing low carb, I wasn't doing super-low carb, like Atkins. I was shooting for 1500 calories a day with 25% of my intake from carbs, 25% from protein, and 50% from fat. My carbs almost always came from vegetable and fruit sources (not tortillas, rice, pasta, bread).

    Now that I'm eating vegetarian, my carbs have been at about 50-60%, protein at about 15-20%, and fat at about 20-30%. I'm eating tortillas, rice, pasta, and bread in moderation.

    It was "that time of the month" last week, so I didn't lose any weight (as usual for me). I'm hopeful that this time next week I will have lost at least as much as I was losing per week while doing low carb. It's much easier for me to eliminate meat and limit other sources of animal protein than it is for me to eliminate refined carbs and limit other carbs.

    I really enjoy reading your blog and getting inspiration from your meals...thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...my apologies for the wordy post! *blushing*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although all that wheat may not be good I still think you are fairly healthy as many heavy peoples extra weight is made from cheese burgers and fries. You do well in so many ways so don't forget to give yourself recognitian for those. I think having more options in a city will help you a lot and I think this new start is just what you need (from what I know of it anyway):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go you good thing! Woot woot! So in awe of your honesty. I have issues with over-eating, particularly at night, and I'm having to just stop having the foods I can't stop eating around (i.e. sunflower seed butter...) Love this slaw and its freshness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a long-time lurker, first time commenter.

    What you are doing is totally inspirational and it seems like you are really proud of yourself - and you very well should be.

    I will be really interested and excited to see how your life plays out in Boston. I was very overweight for a long time in my life because I DID have an unhealthy lifestyle and I binge ate for emotional and similar reasons. Thankfully, dedication to not just a vegan diet, but an active lifestyle, helped me shed all that. Ok, some therapy helped too.:P

    Anyways, your blog is taking a really awesome direction. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't get rid of that dehydrator! I use mine when I travel to make meals in a bag. It works great if you like to travel and not spend money on food or if you are an outdoorsy person and like to camp. All you do is add water and you have a meal. Check out TrailCooking.com if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RE: compulsive overeating....

    WOW. Look forward to reading more of your work.

    I write, as well. Just published a short story re: binge eating disorder: http://tinyurl.com/3hjwxh3

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete