Andrew turned 20 last month and the last 6 months have been really difficult for me having him so far away, but he's home now and I'm soo thrilled! My son Turin also came home from college for the weekend and I went back up to Portsmouth to stay with them (and my dog). I am really really grateful that my X-husband Mark is so gracious with his home and that his girlfriend, Allison is so understanding and supportive with me spending time at the house. It is a definite win win situation for all of us! (and allows me to be with my dog as well!)..
My kids requested their favorite meal which they named "The Good Stir Fry" way back when they were 6 and 7. Back when we lived in Iowa, we used to go to a Thai restaurant and get this potato and green bean coconut curry. When we moved to NH, I was craving it, so I set out to make it and the first time I did, since I served it over rice (and my kids called everything served over rice a Stir Fry) my kids kept saying, "This is such a good stir fry mom." and from then on, they would ask for it by the name The Good Stir Fry. It's funny because I have posted this recipe several times in the blog, but I don't think anyone has yet to make it.. and it is literally sooooo delicious. It is a forgiving recipe and you can use whatever veggies you have on hand. My kids favorite are potatoes, green beans and broccoli. I used green beans, cauliflower and potatoes in this version. You can also use sweet potatoes in place of regular potatoes. I have use kale and collards too.. it's all good! If you make this, don't be afraid to season WELL with the soy sauce and siracha! ... You can also reduce the amount of ginger because 1/4 cup is a lot, but that's how we like it in our house... but maybe start with 2 tablespoons for regular people.
The Good Stir Fry
- 1 T coconut or toasted sesame oil oil
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1 t ground cumin
- 2 t ground coriander
- 1 large onion, diced
- 10 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup freshly diced or grated ginger root
- pinch salt/pepper
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 c chopped waxy potatoes ( around 2 )
- 1 lb green beans, broccoli, or other veggie of choice
- 1 cup coconut milk mixed with 1 cup of hot water
- 14 oz extra firm tofu, dry fried
- 1-2 c veggie stock or water
- Soy sauce to taste
- Siracha to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Optional: 2 Kafir lime leaves 1 T lemongrass
- Dry Fry Tofu ( and do the rest of the prep while you are doing this )
- Heat a heavy bottomed 4 qt pot to medium heat, add oil and spices; toast for a minute
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Saute for 10 minutes
- De-glaze with vinegar
- Add potatoes, coconut milk , tofu and stock.
- Bring to a strong simmer. Cover and let cook until the potatoes are done, around 30 minutes, then add the veggies of choice, cover and cook for 10 more minutes
- Season with Soy sauce, Siracha, Lime juice and Cilantro. If you are using the lemongrass and lime leaf, add to the onion mixture in the beginning.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, serve over rice
You can also substitute your favorite legumes, seitan, or tempeh for the tofu if desired. I've made a similar batch of food with kidney beans with GREAT results!
We had a small family get together last night for Andrew. Both my kids play guitar, so they jammed together and it was a great night.
Andrew's bday was in Sept, so my X MIL made her famous family bday cake for him.. (I didn't have my tripod with me and it was dark for many of these pics hence the blur and bad lighting!)...