Friday, October 28, 2011

Restaurant Review: Veggie Galaxy, Central Square, Cambridge, MA

My son came down to Boston for a visit yesterday and we ended up eating at Veggie Galaxy in Cambridge.  We were both really excited to actually eat in an all vegetarian (and mostly vegan!) restaurant.  I have actually NEVER been to a fully vegetarian restaurant where I wasn't the one doing the cooking, so I'm sure you can imagine my intrigue.

I have to preface this and all of my restaurant reviews:  I don't really enjoy going out to eat very much.  I have worked for too many years in restaurants to ever fully relax and not SEE too many things and expect a higher level of service/food quality than most people do.  Plus, I am super frugal, and it irritates me to spend money on food that I often feel I can make just as good at home..

BUT... that being said, I will be going back to Veggie Galaxy.

When you walk in, you are greeted with a huge dessert case filled with amazing looking vegan goodness! Even Lemon Meringue Pie! ... the desserts looked AMAZING, but I'm sad to say I did not partake in any of them.  Both Andrew and I were too full , but I will be going back to give them a try.  Forgive the pictures in this post.. it is always awkward taking pics in restaurants and the lighting is atrocious.. plus my son was NOT comfortable with me snapping away...  but don't these look yummy?



YUMYUMYUM!!

I just wish they offered a dessert sampler plate! 

Veggie Galaxy is VERY clean which I love.  It has an open kitchen which for many people is a great thing..  I'm not a fan really just because I can't stop watching the interactions between people and I pick up on all the annoying restaurant language.  I am SOOOO glad I'm not working in restaurants anymore. Woo hoo!

.. but that being said.. the staff was courteous, prompt and our server gave us the correct amount of attention.  The only thing I wish she had done differently was told us about the nightly special.. BUT maybe it was sold out by the time we got there.  In the future, I would recommend asking about the specials. (I only knew about them after the fact because of their Facebook page.)

Now onto the food.  Andrew got a malted frappe..  I'm not sure if it was vegan, because of the malt, but the ice cream was definitely vegan.  He loved it.  He ordered the non-vegan Mac and Cheese with Veggies and a side of potato salad.  He was not impressed with the Mac and Cheese.  He said it was too saucy and had very little flavor.  He said the breadcrumbs on top were the most flavorful thing about it and he expected the sauce to be MUCH cheesier and more flavorful.  He gave it a 5 out of 10.  He loved the potato salad though.  He refused to let me take a pic of any of his food. 

I went all out and ordered the Beer Battered Smoked Tofu, Fries and Coleslaw.  

Now, I really have to preface my review I RARELY eat fried foods.  Maybe once a year.  The last time was tempura at a Japanese restaurant..  and that was not greasy.  This plate of food was VERY greasy.  Too greasy (although I ate it all like a total pig)..  The tofu was smoked and like it says, that was the predominant flavor.  The sauce was described as a "Caper Dill Aioli."  Well, sorry, but there was very little flavor other than smoke in the tofu/sauce.  I was disappointed.  Don't get me wrong.. it was good.. (I ate it all)... but not very flavorful and that, my friends, is why I feel frustrated going out to eat.  The sauce should have had fresh dill, lemon zest, much more garlic and more tang. I have made these sauces as a Vegan Chef in restaurants and I never would have put that sauce out and called it a Caper Dill Aioli. I also would have seasoned the batter and tofu more.. it was just bland.. the salt level was perfect, but spices ARE your friend...   *SIGH*..  now this may be a  New England thing...  I don't know.  The slaw was dripping in oil (maybe because it was UNDER the tofu steaming.  I think it should have been crisp, tangy and not oily at all so it could have cut the oil of the rest of the dish.  The fries were lovely.. seasoned with rosemary and black pepper. Malt Vinegar would have complimented this dish nicely..   I would give the whole dish a very average 5 out of 10. 

It probably sounds like I am being really picky, but I am... and this is why I am not a fan of going out to eat.... BUT I will go back and try another dish... because I LOVE the fact that they are serving mostly vegan food... and I won't get anything fried.  Their sandwiches and burgers looked really good.. thick cuts of housemade tempeh bacon...  they have housemade vegan cheese.. so I am definitely wanting to give their Club sandwich and Reuben a try.  

The prices were what I would expect, we paid $33 for our meal of two main dishes, one side dish and one frappe. (not including tip)..    


450 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 

617-497-1513


*Going out to eat is NOT included in my $3.33 a day budget.