Monday, November 07, 2011

30 Minute Spicy Lentils, Quinoa and Collards


I seem to eat the same sort of food over and over. Spicy ethnic variations of legumes, grains and veggies are my mainstay it seems, so it feels a little pointless to keep posting recipes that are pretty much the same...   but when did that stop me? 

I had cooked lentils on hand and a gorgeous bunch of organic collards (Market Basekt $1.99!.. I was in NH for the weekend).  I originally was going to make another version of my 20 minute lentil soup, which I had yesterday


.. but I noticed some ginger and Indian flavors started calling me!


Spicy Lentils, Collards and Quinoa
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (much less if you don't like heat)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger (less if you don't like heat)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups cooked lentils
  • 4 cups chopped collards
  • 1 cup water and more as needed
  • 1/4 cup dry quinoa
  • Siracha to taste
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • Soy Sauce or Braggs to taste
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • Siracha to taste for if desired
  1. Saute spices , onions, garlic in the oil
  2. Add the lentils, collards, quinoa and water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the collards and quinoa are cooked
Enjoy!