Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ethiopian Split Pea Stew


I live across the street from Lucy Ethiopian Cafe so every single day I am reminded of their yummy food!  Fortunately, I can usually create the flavors I love in my own kitchen for a fraction of the price!

Traditionally, Atar Alecha is a very mild, split pea puree with just a hint of ginger, but as you all know, I don't do anything mild and I scored a ton of ginger the last time I went to Chinatown!

I looked around at the spices I had on hand and used what I had.  I encourage you all to use what you have too and not get too concerned about following recipes. I am quite away that this is a long list of ingredients as are most of my recipes... but that's how I cook..

I also used a pressure cooker, but will include instructions on how to cook this in a heavy bottomed soup pot as well.

Ethiopian Yellow Split Pea Stew
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • ½ teaspoon cardamom
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon 5 spice powder
  • ¼ teaspoon dry rosemary
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne (less if you don’t like spicy food)
  • ¼ teaspoon fenugreek
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 10 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger (less if you don’t like spicy food)
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Tony’s Creole Seasoning
  • 1 cup yellow split peas
  • 4 cups water
  • ¼ cup salsa
  • 1 large zucchini, diced and 4 cups greens of choice 
  • Juice of 1 large lime
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  • Siracha if desired

  1. In a pressure cooker over medium heat, sauté heat the oil and spices for a minute or so.
  2. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and carrots along with the Tony’s. Cook for 5 minutes
  3. Now add the split peas and water.
  4. Cover and bring to high pressure for 3 minutes.
  5. Let pressure come down naturally and stir in the salsa, veggies you are using and let the heat cook the veggies. Add lime juice,  taste and adjust seasonings.

You can make this on the stove with these modifications:
  • Use a heavy bottomed soup pot
  • Omit Tony’s Seasoning until after the peas are cooked
  • Instead of bringing to high pressure, bring mixture to a boil for several minutes then cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for an hour.

I served my stew over millet.   It was even better when I enjoyed it for breakfast the next day.  

What are you favorite Ethiopian Dishes?  If you're looking for a great Vegan and Gluten free Ethiopian recipes, check out Kittee's Awsome ZINE!!!