Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Gingered Tofu and Zucchini & Savory Breakfast

More Savory Breakfast! 

I really love eating leftovers or savory foods for breakfast.  I notice I feel best when I get lots of veggies and some good quality protein and just a bit of fat for breakfast.. so this salad with zucchini, tofu and hummus was just the right thing!  I scored 11 ounces of Organic Baby Spinach for $2 at Haymarket last week! How cool is that?

I used a ton of ginger in this recipe, so if you try it and you aren't in love with ginger like I am, you might want to decrease it by half.  

Gingered Zucchini and Tofu
  • Cooking spray or 1 teaspoon oil
  • 7 oz extra firm tofu cut into small cubes
  • 1 large zucchini,  medium chop
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 5 large cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
  • ¾ cup water
  • Smoked Sea Salt to taste
  • Soy Sauce to taste
  • Black Pepper  to taste
  • Siracha if desired, to taste
  1. In a screaming hot cast iron (medium high heat) add the tofu, onion and zucchini. Let it stay there until the tofu starts to come away from the pan. This will give it a nice caramelization.
  2. Now add the garlic and ginger along with the water and a pinch of salt. 
  3. Stir well and cover for 5 minutes, add soy sauce, more smoked sea salt, pepper and siracha to taste
I topped it with my Chipotle Hummus

Do you prefer traditional breakfast or savory?  

What are your favorite things to eat in the morning?