I like to make these a whole meal with the addition of lentils and zucchini. You could use another bean and yellow squash in place of zucchini.
Sugar Free Gingerbread
- 1 lb dry barley ground into flour (around 3 ½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon each nutmeg, cloves and cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 scant teaspoon Kal Stevia Powder
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 5 small, 3 medium or 2 large zucchinis
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Grind the flour, place in large bowl with the dry ingredients
- In a large blender, add the rest of the ingredients and blend until totally smooth
- Make a well and pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Mix very well
- Grease a 9 by 13 pan and bake for 1 hour, rotating pan halfway through
It is VERY important to let these cool completely before eating so the stevia flavor has a chance to settle down and mingle with the spices and moisture from the veggies/beans. The taste changes completely!
I've been thinking of playing around with spinach .. it has a nice viscosity when it's cooked that reminds me a bit of oil.. so we'll see. I get SUCH cheap spinach at Haymarket so it would be nice to see how it works.
You could definite replace the vinegar with juice of half a lemon and add some lemon zest to this recipe, plus the addition of walnuts or other nuts would be delightful.