Monday, December 05, 2011

Whole Food Sugar Free Barley Ginger Breakfast Bread

I've been making various versions of breakfast breads for years now and lately, this has been one of my roomies favorites, so I make a batch every couple of days.  My breakfast breads are not very sweet, so feel free to add more sweetener or some sugar. I use Kal Stevia Powder in all of my sugar free baking.

I like to make these a whole meal with the addition of lentils and zucchini.  You could use another bean and yellow squash in place of zucchini.

Sugar Free Gingerbread
  • 1 lb dry barley ground into flour (around 3 ½ cups)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon each nutmeg, cloves and cardamom
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 scant teaspoon Kal Stevia Powder
  • 2 cups cooked lentils
  • 5 small, 3 medium or 2 large zucchinis
  • 1 ½ cups water
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons molasses
  • 3 tablespoons fresh ginger
  • 2 teaspoons vinegar
  1. Pre-heat oven to 375
  2. Grind the flour, place in large bowl with the dry ingredients
  3. In a large blender, add the rest of the ingredients and blend until totally smooth
  4. Make a well and pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
  5. Mix very well
  6. Grease a 9 by 13 pan and bake for 1 hour, rotating pan halfway through
It is VERY important to let these cool completely before eating so the stevia flavor has a chance to settle down and mingle with the spices and moisture from the veggies/beans. The taste changes completely! 

I've been thinking of playing around with spinach .. it has a nice viscosity when it's cooked that reminds me a bit of oil.. so we'll see.  I get SUCH cheap spinach at Haymarket so it would be nice to see how it works. 

You could definite replace the vinegar with juice of half a lemon and add some lemon zest to this recipe, plus the addition of walnuts or other nuts would be delightful.