Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Haymarket Finds and Chipotle Spit Pea Soup


I love my freezer! Split pea soup with quinoa and spinach is a great way to start the day.  I am still able to freeze smaller amounts of soups in 2 cup portions even though my roommate and I share the fridge.  We have figured out a good system and while it gets crazy sometimes with massive amounts of produce (after Haymarket day) it is working for us. 

Haymarket is an open air market Friday and Saturday in Boston.  It is known for it's awesome deals and I take advantage of it every week. Woohoo! 

If you're in the Boston are and you go to Haymarket keep in mind several things: 
  • Bring lots of $1 bills
  • Be prepared to push your way to the front of the line
  • Negotiate!
  • Check the produce well to make sure it's not rotten
  • Negotiate! 
  • You can often buy a CASE of something for VERY cheap, for instance, I have gotten 15 lbs of zucchini for $5 before!
I'm sure I will get comments/emails about how you guys don't have access to this cheap produce.  Keep in mind that I kept to my budget for YEARS before I moved to Boston by shopping at a local store in Portsmouth, NH.  I think there ARE deals to be had MOST places (not everywhere).. you just have to look for them.