Sunday, April 01, 2012

Green Smoothie Fast!

So, I mentioned on Facebook last week that I was going to do a 5 day Green Smoothie Cleanse and a bunch of you wanted to join me and asked for recipes and a shopping list.  Since I've never done a full cleanse, I'm not quite sure of the shopping list or actual recipes, but I plan on sharing what I do each day and then I can get a better idea of how much I go through in order to feel satisfied.

I have a pretty active lifestyle. I walk a lot and I work on my feet, so I MAY add some protein powder if I feel like I need it.  There are NO RULES here.  I think that even adding in one green smoothie a day is a great start, so I invite any of you to join in in any way that makes sense to you.

I will also probably eat raw fruit and vegetables if I feel the need to snack on some solid food.

My goal for this cleanse is to get myself off of WHEAT and get into a different mindset because I am going to be starting Bikrams Yoga! Oy..  I'm nervous about that.

I will probably also be drinking a lot of lemon based drinks..
and Dandelion Tea

and of course, Savory Green Smoothies..

Avocado, Spinach, Ginger, Garlic, Braggs
Basic Green Smoothie:
2 cups greens of choice
1 frozen banana 
1 cup frozen fruit (pineapple, strawberries, mango, blueberries)
2 cups water
1 tablespoon golden flax meal or 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds

As far as shopping goes, I would aim for around a pound of greens a day, and at least 4 bananas ..  add in a cup of frozen or fresh fruit and any chia or flax.  

I like to freeze my bananas.  

For savory smoothies, you can use avocado for a creamy texture or just make a very thin smoothie out of greens and cucumber.

Here's one of my favorites, but let me tell you , this is NOT for the faint of heart.  It is INTENSELY SPICY and will probably make you sick to your stomach if you're not used to this level of heat.  You can start by adding 1 teaspoon cayenne and 1 tablespoons ginger. 

Masochists Delight Savory Green Smoothie
2 cups arugula 
1/4 cup chopped ginger
2 tablespoons cayenne
1 cucumber 
6 cups water
optional: tomato, carrot

What are your favorite green smoothie recipes?  Share them in the comments, or better yet, on FACEBOOK!