Wednesday, August 22, 2012

30 Minute Curried Okra, Tomatoes and Chickpeas


I had a mad craving yesterday for this dish, so I wrote up a recipe and tested it.  It more than lived up to my expectations, which is good since I have a huge pot of food.  It will freeze well I'm sure.  I wanted to make Roti and Mint Chutney as well, but didn't have the ingredients for that.. so I'll do that another time. 

This came together in 30 minutes.  I used frozen okra, but you could use fresh of course.  I think the cooking time would remain the same.  

Curried Okra, Tomatoes and Chickpeas
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon coriander
  • 2 teaspoons turmeric
  • ½ teaspoon hot Indian chili powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 large onion, cut into half moons
  • 8 cloves garlic, sliced into slivers
  • 3 tablespoons chopped, fresh ginger
  • Hefty pinch salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 pound frozen okra
  • 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes and their liquid
  • 15 oz can drained chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1 cup water
  • Braggs Liquid Aminos, Soy Sauce or Tamari to taste
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
  • Juice of 1 large lime 
Method:
  1. In a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat add the oil and spices. Toast spices for a minute or so.
  2. Add the onion, garlic and ginger along with a good pinch of salt and pepper
  3. Coat onion mixture with spices and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are soft
  4. Add the okra, tomatoes, chickpeas and water. 
  5. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so.
  6. Taste and add Braggs and more pepper to taste along with the cilantro and lime juice.
  7. Let sit for 5 minutes, taste again and adjust seasoning if necessary

Do you like okra?  I love it in stews and soups..  I remember eating steamed okra as a kid and it was horrible.  The slime factor grossed me out to such a degree, but this is a great way to use the "slime" to your advantage.  




1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:54 AM

    What's up, constantly i used to check weblog posts here early in the break of day, for the reason that i like to learn more and more.

    Feel free to visit my weblog: what are nootropics
    Feel free to surf my web-site :: how to build a better brain

    ReplyDelete