Monday, September 03, 2012

Ethiopian Spice Recipes

So...as I'm sure regular readers of this blog know, The Boyfriend and I are kind of obsessed with going out to eat and then re-creating our favorite dishes at home.  Our Fasika adventure inspired us to create our own Ethiopian feast and I am going to share the recipes we created.

We were given some spice mix or Berbere at Fasika because we both like our food HOT.. and we had a great time trying to discern what was in it.  When we got home, I wrote down the ingredients we came up with and then a couple weeks later, wrote down the actual recipe.  It's always great fun for me to see if my recipes actually match the flavors I think they will in my head and I'm thrilled to say that this spice mixture was EXACTLY what I expected! I know that there are a lot of spices here.  We hit up a local Indian grocery store for the majority of the spices.  I LOVE the variety of foods available in the Boston area.. wow.  If you don't have access to various ethnic markets, you can buy many spices online.  Whatever you do, don't rely on your local grocery store for the spices or you will end up spending a fortune!  Health food stores are another great place to buy bulk spices for a good price.  Just a note:  I use asafoetida  (also known as HING).  This is a very pungent herb and necessary for the correct flavor.  It is worth seeking out!  Because of the intense smell, I store mine in a plastic bag, inside of a glass jar and then encased in another plastic bag. Or just put it in your basement if you have one! 



The Boyfriend is awesome... he measured all of the spices and put them in bowls so I could take the pretty picture you see above.  He is a patient man.. very precise.  Nothing like me!  We work well together :-)  Here's the recipe I came up with.  It is super yummy! 

Ethiopian Spice Mixture:
  • 2 tablespoons ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric
  • 1-2 tablespoons hot chili powder (Indian style, cayenne is an OK substitute)
  • 1 tablespoon salt, ground fennel seed, ground fenugreek, black pepper, brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons asafoetida, ground cardamom
  • 1 teaspoon amchoor, allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, clove
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
I used this mixture in all of the food I made for our feast... as a base.  If you are sensitive to heat, you can lessen the amount of chili powder.  We used 1.5 tablespoons of extra hot Indian Chili powder. 

I would have used 4 tablespoons had I only been cooking for myself.. BUT.. we had friends over and I didn't want to hurt them.  I have an uncanny ability to enjoy VERY hot food.  10 years ago, I was at a bar in NH and won a chili eating contest against a group of marines.  I can handle more heat than anyone I know. 

..but I digress... back to the not so spicy awesome Ethiopian Spice Mixes!!  The Boyfriend found a recipe online he wanted to try.  He made a chicken dish, Doro Wat.  I am DEFINITELY going to play around with a vegan version..  I think tempeh would be a great protein for this dish.  Or seitan if you are into it. I am NOT into seitan


Here's The Boyfriend's recipe.. he found it on the web. 



1 teaspoon fenugreek
1/2 cup ground chili
1/2 cup hot paprika

2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice

Mix this all together and seal in a bag. Makes about 2 cups.


As you can see, the recipe are very similar.. but the flavors are quite different.  I used some of this seasoning in one of my dishes...   so yummy! 

Here's a sneak peak of our feast!  (sans the chicken dish) ...  recipes will be coming up this week .. including the 100% Teff Injera. 



sorry for the FONT issues.  Blogger.. you are making The Kitty MAD today!





1 comment: