We finally put up Angela! (our first attempt at homemade Sauerkraut, which came out just PERFECT if I do say so myself!) I can't believe how easy it was and I can't wait to play around with flavors next time and add more veggies! We have about a gallon and a half total; we water canned 1 1/2 quarts and the rest is live!
So, of course I was craving a Veggie Dog, and decided to make some out of Seitan. I have a very strange relationship with seitan. I don't like it, but several times a year, I think I will like it and then I make it and eat it and like it while I'm eating it.. but am reminded why I only eat it twice a year .. but I digress. This recipe is certainly not like commercial vegan hot dogs, but they hit the spot and are super simple to make with ingredients most of you probably have in your pantry.
SEITAN HOT DOGS
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp onion flakes
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- pinch cloves
- 1 teaspoon smoke powder (or 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke)
- 1/2 cup very cold water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup (my sugar free ketchup is super yummy!)
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- Put a big pot of water onto steam
- Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients
- Divide dough into six equal pieces, roll into logs and wrap in foil and steam for 40 minutes.
- CLICK HERE FOR A VIDEO OF JULIE HASSON STEAMING HER FAMOUS ITALIAN SAUSAGE!
- Let seitan cool completely; then pan fry it and enjoy!
Angela was also amazing on my homemade veggie burger!
I'm going to make a big loaf of Pumpernickel and we are going to have Smoked Tofu Reubens! Yum..