Monday, October 01, 2012

Thyme Infused Habanero Sauce

In case you missed my morning post, click here for my Ode to Oats post filled with links to oat recipes!

I really LOVE habaneros.  They have such an amazing, fruity flavor that is so bright and wonderful!  I know they are very hot, so if hot food bothers you, please skip this. Or use a red bell pepper and just two seeded habaneros. (The result won't be the same, but it will still be delicious!)

If you've been reading the blog and Following my Facebook, you know that The Boyfriend and I have been a bit obsessed with creating hot sauces.

Hello, My name is Melody and I'm am addicted to Hot Food!

I really can't get enough, so I've been eating an obscene amount of Sriracha in my food. Now don't get me wrong, Sriracha is fabulous, BUT, it made my food too salty, so we decided to attempt to create a HOTTER, less salty version. We have made two attempts so far, with amazing results... although honestly, the sauces don't quite taste like Sriracha... but I am getting ahead myself.  That will be another post all together and when we finally DO create the hotter, less salty Sriracha, we will share the recipe here! ...  one more thing and then I'll get back to the Habanero Sauce!.. in our attempts, we wanted to add some brightness to the sauce, so we juiced Thai Bird Chilies.. and we loved the juice so much, we created another sauce with it! Here's a sneak peak of our most favorite one yet! .  It's beautiful, clean, crisp, hot and just all around YUMMY! .. but first, look at the gorgeous Thai Bird Chili Juice:

Sooo much better than Tobasco!

OK...OK....OK...  I totally got sidetracked and distracted.  Back to the Habanero Sauce! One thing that I love about The Boyfriend is that he is teaching me to have some restraint when it comes to cooking.  I season and add spices like crazy, which I know is a GREAT thing for many of my recipes, but sometimes, when you are working with amazing product like ummm.. Chili Peppers, it is great to let them be the star of the show.  This habanero sauce relies on ONE spice; thyme.  I used dried French Thyme from Penzy's.  Make sure you use a good quality dried thyme. I find it makes a HUGE difference. Do not use thyme powder. 


Thyme Infused Habanero Sauce
  • 20 habaneros, stems cut off OR 1 small red bell pepper and 2 habaneros with the seeds and stems removed if you do not want a super hot sauce
  • 1 small onion
  • 8 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon best quality dried thyme 

Method:
  1. Blend everything in a food processor;  bring to a boil in a saucepan for 30 seconds. 
  2. Cool and pour into glass jars for storage.

Tips: Wear gloves while preparing the habaneros. You can de-seed and de-stem the habaneros if you want less heat. 

Stay tuned to see how I used this sauce! 
How would you use this sauce?

Here are some more spicy sauce recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment