Thursday, November 15, 2012

Spicy Tomato - Onion Chutney

The other night, The Boyfriend and I ate at The Fishtail Kitchen.  I love their food; they actually make it spicy which is rare for most restaurants in the Northeast.  I had their Muttur Paneer. (Which inspired me to re-create my own version of it the next night!) So spicy and yummy.  I had a wicked cold and the spices cleared my sinuses!  Better than Sudafed anyday.

So, they bring you papadums along with mint, tomato and tamarind chutney to munch and I knew immediately I had to make some for the Indian fest we were making.
I spiced mine a bit more liberally I think, using fresh curry leaves and brown mustard seeds.  I originally made it too thin by including all of the juice from the canned tomato, so I ended up straining it (and saving the liquid of course) so it would have a more chutney like texture.  If you don't have curry leaves or mustard seeds, it's OK; it will still be delicious.  Same goes for the asafoetida.  I used ghee, but for a vegan version, you can use coconut oil or even just plain canola oil.  You definitely need to use an oil with a high smoke point so you can sizzle the curry leaves and pop the mustard seeds.

Spicy Onion Chutney
  • 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 4 curry leaves
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp asafoetida 
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 28 oz can diced tomatoes and the liquid
  • 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
  • 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
  • 3 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 2 tsp salt 
Method
  1. Heat ghee in a very hot skillet; add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
  2. When the seeds pop, add the rest of the spices along with the tomato and tamarind.  Bring to strong simmer , cover and cook for 5 minutes
  3. In a glass or ceramic bowl, place the raw ginger, cilatnro, onion and garlic along with the salt, mix well and pour the hot liquid over the onions.
  4. Let the mixture cool, then refrigerate for a couple hour; drain the excess liquid and season to taste with salt and pepper. 
This will make around a quart of chutney and it will keep for two weeks in the fridge.  


More Chutney Recipes:


2 comments:

  1. I am going to make the chutney we both love indian food and the spicier the better . The chutney looks delicious as do all your receipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I love that you like spicy food!

      Delete