The Boyfriend and I just had a delicious 30 minute meal of Ayeb Begomen. (The dish is pictured in the front right of the above picture.).
We used Chickpea Flatbread instead of Injera and the meal came together super fast since we have our spice mixtures ready to go.
For a vegan version, you could sub crumbled tofu mixed with some cashew cheese
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp freshly minced ginger
- 2 tbsp Melody's Ethiopian Spice Mix
- 2 tsp The Boyfriend's Ethiopian Spice Mix
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bunch collards, washed and chopped well
- 24 oz full fat cottage cheeese or 16 oz tofu and 1/2 cup cashew goat cheese
- Heat ghee to medium in a large cast iron; add the cumin seeds and toast for 10 seconds
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and spice mixtures, salt/pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then add the collards and water. If you are using tofu, add it now.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- You can cook the greens longer if desired, but we like them to have some bit left.
- Take of heat, stir in the cottage cheese (or cashew cheese)
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
I promise to get the Injera recipe up soon too.
I love being able to create exactly the type of food I want to eat. Cooking is awesome. It's New Years Eve... This has been an amazing year with super highs and lows... but overall, I am pretty happy. I have some things coming up soon that I'm excited to share with you...
Happy New Year! Be safe and have a great time!