Friday, January 11, 2013

Kongnamulguk (Soybean Sprout Soup) and Tofu, Daikon and Creminis


The Boyfriend introduced me to Maanchi's awesome site a while back, so when I saw some lovely bean sprouts at the store yesterday, I pulled out my phone and looked up her recipe for Kongnamulguk and knew exactly what we'd be having for dinner!  I have not eaten a lot of Korean food in my life, but I plan on experimenting a lot more because WOW, did I love this!  

While I do love my cooking, I am getting bored with it.  I tend to lack restraint when it comes to spices and ingredients, so this pushes me out of my comfort zone a bit.  I didn't follow her recipe totally.  She has 3 recipes on her site for this soup and obviously, I wanted a vegan soup with some kick, so I used Gochujang  which imparted an amazing heat and umami .  I also cooked the soup less than her recipe, because we like a lot of texture in what we eat.  HERE is a link to her recipes.  

To round out the meal and add more protein and veggies (next time I'll be adding some bok choy or other green to the soup)  I made a quick stir fry of tofu, cremini mushrooms, scallions and daikon and a pot of brown rice.  

Kongnamulguk
  • 15 oz bag soybean sprouts (or mung bean sprouts)
  • 5 c water
  • 1-2 tbsp Gochujang (less if you don't want it spicy.  You could also add miso) 
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Good quality soy sauce to taste (I added around 1 tbsp)
  • 4 cloves garlic (I increased from s)
  • 1 small onion, sliced in half moons (she used 1/2 onion)
  • 1/4 c toasted sesame seeds, pounded with a motor and pestle 
  • Scallions
  • 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil 
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar (I added this, it wasn't in the original recipe) 


Method:
Rinse sprouts, cover with water, gochujang, salt, soy sauce, garlic and onion


Cover and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes

Chop scallions and pound the sesame seeds while you're waiting


Cook up your veggies/tofu (I started my brown rice around 15 minutes before I started the soup) ..  I will share the recipe when I make it again and actually measure what I used. I flavored with sesame oil, soy sauce, scallions, white pepper and fresh ginger. 


Now the soup should be finished; taste and adjust seasoning , add the vinegar, sesame oil, scallions and toasted sesame to the bowl for garnish.  

The broth was VERY spicy (I used the hottest gochugang we could find) so we ate it over brown rice with the veggies and tofu mixed it.  It was a fantastic meal!  Thanks Maanchi for sharing your awesome food with us here in cyberspace! 

1 comment: