Friday, March 22, 2013

Crock Pot Baked Beans


I love baked beans, even canned vegetarian baked beans.  It is so easy to make them yourself, especially if you have a crockpot.  I used a pound of dry Navy Beans.  I cooked them on the stove until they were pretty al dente.  You could always use canned beans, but they won't retain their texture as much as cooking them from scratch.  If you use canned, 2 29 oz plus 1 15 oz can will suffice.  You will need to reduce the Tony's Seasoning by half otherwise it will be too salty.  These have a kick from the Tony's and chipotle.  If you are sensitive to heat, then use your favorite seasoning salt and smoked paprika.  


Crock pot Baked Beans 
  • 16 oz dry beans, cooked al dente  (reserve cooking liquid)
  • 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil 
  • 28 oz can tomato sauce 
  • 1 cup bean cooking liquid 
  • 2 large onions, chopped 
  • 8 cloves minced garlic 
  • 3 tbsp Dijon mustard 
  • 1 cup molasses 
  • 3 bay leaves 
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
  • 1-2 canned chipotles (omit if you don't like heat)
  • 1 tbsp Tony's Creole Seasoning 
  • 1/2 tsp allspice 
  • Optional: 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • Black Pepper and Soy Sauce to taste 
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Method:
Place all of the above in a crock pot and cook on high for 6 hours.  Taste and add sugar, pepper and soy sauce to taste. Stir in chopped cilantro just before serving.

Serve with Cornbread and Greens!


Yum!



6 comments:

  1. your photos are beautiful!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baked beans. Even the canned ones too. I will skip the peppers as I don't like spicy. Thank you. I really do need to make use of my wonderful slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going to post more crock pot recipes... :-)

      Delete
  3. Is pre-soaking, either over night or quick soak with a boil, of the beans necessary at all? I don't see to do so in your directions but, the packages all instruct to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely soak beans.. they will cook faster if you do.. I also often use a pressure cooker for beans as well and I never soak them when I use the pressure cooker. Some people say that soaking beans makes them less gassy..

      Delete