I love baked beans, even canned vegetarian baked beans. It is so easy to make them yourself, especially if you have a crockpot. I used a pound of dry Navy Beans. I cooked them on the stove until they were pretty al dente. You could always use canned beans, but they won't retain their texture as much as cooking them from scratch. If you use canned, 2 29 oz plus 1 15 oz can will suffice. You will need to reduce the Tony's Seasoning by half otherwise it will be too salty. These have a kick from the Tony's and chipotle. If you are sensitive to heat, then use your favorite seasoning salt and smoked paprika.
- 16 oz dry beans, cooked al dente (reserve cooking liquid)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup bean cooking liquid
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1-2 canned chipotles (omit if you don't like heat)
- 1 tbsp Tony's Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Optional: 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Black Pepper and Soy Sauce to taste
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Place all of the above in a crock pot and cook on high for 6 hours. Taste and add sugar, pepper and soy sauce to taste. Stir in chopped cilantro just before serving.
Serve with Cornbread and Greens!