I am pretty picky when it comes to brownies. I like them dense and not cake-like at all. Several years ago, I created this recipe for a restaurant I worked in and we sold them every day. I decided to re-visit the recipe since I plan on making them for my new job and wanted to make sure they were as good as I thought they were.
Enter The Boyfriend. He loves brownies. Traditional egg and gluten filled brownies. I remember telling him about my brownies and he was very skeptical. VERY SKEPTICAL!
I also know that he is the most brutally honest person when it comes to critiquing food, so I KNEW I'd get the truth from him. Here is my original recipe. I am used to cooking these in a commercial convection oven, but have modified this recipe so it works in a regular, home oven too.
Gluten Free Vegan Brownies
- 1/2 cup golden flax meal
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Mix*
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 350, spray a metal 9 by 13 baking pan with cooking spray
- In a large bow, mix the first 8 ingredients together well, let stand for 15 minutes
- Stir in the baking mix, chocolate chips and baking powder, mix VERY WELL. Do not worry about over mixing!
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, turn heat down to 325, rotate the pan and bake for 25 more minutes.
- Let brownies cool completely (overnight is best) before serving. Trust me on this.. they are not good until they have cooled.
*This is the only Gluten Free Flour I have used, so I can't guarantee results with any other gluten free flour.