This is an EXTREMELY decadent pie, even though it's RAW and VEGAN (if you use agave). It is also gluten free and soy free, so it makes a lovely dessert for those with allergy concerns. A while back, I was making Raw Vegan Desserts all of the time for my job and I actually have a bunch of awesome recipes for them... but they are quite expensive to make and also very high in calories, so I don't make them very often. One of my favorites ever though was a Raw Carrot Cake with "Cream Cheese" frosting.. omg.. so good. I used leftover pulp from juicing for the base of that one... but now that I am again working in a restaurant, I can start creating awesome Raw Desserts again if there is a market for them.. which will remain to be seen.
I digress... I will stop rambling and post the recipe since that is why you are here!
Coconut Lime Pie
- 2 cups dry, unsweetened coconut
- healthy pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- juice of 2 limes zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 dates
- 1 cup cashews
- Juice of 6 limes or around 3/4 cup lime juice
- zest of 2 limes
- 2 large Hass avocados
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup honey or agave
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the crust, mix everything together in a food processor, then press into a 9 inch pie pan or sping-form pan and freeze
- For the filling, pulse the cashews until totally ground into a butter, then add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until everything is totally combined. Pour on top of the crust and place in freezer for an hour or so or in the fridge overnight.